French Guard cavalry released!

Started by Leon, 18 September 2020, 11:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zippee

Pretty sure Austrian grenadiers carried flags - we had a whole debate on what to call them and where the spares came from but there use I thought was well documented.

I've asked about cavalry standards a few times and Leon's response has always been 'many customers want them' - if that's so it's hard to argue with.

John Cook

Quote from: Zippee on 20 September 2020, 09:03:44 AM
There's two poses = two units.

None of mine are mixed - same with the infantry.

The really sad thing is the bags and bags of unwanted and unneeded standard bearers  :D

I don't necessarily want two units and even if I did I prefer all my units to be the same pose.  A mix of charging figures and others advancing, firing or doing something else means that half the pack is no use, to me anyway.  I like all my infantry and cavalry marching, with weapons shouldered.  This is how they'd be 90%, or more, of the time when they're not sleeping or eating. 

It is the principal reason I have not started a FPW project.  Look, for example, at those charging Prussian cuirassiers, two in a hell-for-leather pose that they'd adopt in the last 50-100 meters and one (officer?) that looks as it's doing some dressage, such that they are incompatible with each other and the rest of the cavalry in the range.

I agree about standards for cavalry units that never had them.  I can't imagine why people want, or expect them.  But, I always find something to do with them.  They end up converted to carrying swords, as couriers, personality figures, mounted artillery riders or harvested for parts, so they are not wasted.

Yes, you are quite right, Austrian grenadiers did carry flags.

WeeWars

Yes, indeed, Austrian grenadier battalions did have standards. From the oracle that is David Hollins:

"the converged Grenadier battalions carried a single spare Ordinarfahne throughout the period, except in 1805, where the Grenadiers were the Leib Battalion of the parent regt and so, as the senior battalion, carried the white Leibfahne."

I may have strayed into personal preference with that example so I'll accept that that's simply a compromise that I'm willing to take amidst all the necessary compromises. That example is more to do with every battalion 'looking like a colour party'. However, I do believe that energy and resources of time and cost of manufacture should be spent more on 'absolutes'. Did a unit always have a standard in the field? My personal preference is for more variations of the multitudes (French line infantry) and fewer light infantry and light cavalry extras like standards and drummers. And definitely not fantasy Napoleonics that never existed.

I don't find standard bearers easy to convert.

I completely agree with John, again, regarding the moment-in-time pose. Likewise, officers and men. My Austrian Napoleonic line officers stand in line while all their men march alongside.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Zippee

I'm in agreement - single pose units in some form of waiting or shouldered arms style is my preference but we work with what we have been blessed with.

There are more than enough people out there that want units with every single figure in a different pose and a different uniform - they're entitled to want that no matter how much I personally disagree with them  :D

As a manufacturer Leon has to supply both ends of the spectrum. I'm sure there are as many people frustrated that there are 'only' two poses as there are those who chaff under the burden of having to find some use for the 'other' pose.

Same goes for static v dynamic pose, particularly in cavalry. Though I hear the pain if the FPW heavies are all charging, I tend to accept the metric of light = dynamic, heavy = resting as a wargaming standard thing. Same as I'm happy with a dynamic, multipose skirmish line or base but not in a regular battalion.

These opinions hold true in every period for me - even my WW2 platoons tend to have sections in the same pose (as much to aid identification as anything)

paulr

Quote from: Zippee on 24 September 2020, 10:39:04 AM
As a manufacturer Leon has to supply both ends of the spectrum. I'm sure there are as many people frustrated that there are 'only' two poses as there are those who chaff under the burden of having to find some use for the 'other' pose.

Well said :)

Leon, will of course quite happily provide you with only the pose you want so you can avoiding chaffing ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I've come to prefer regulars in almost the same pose and gear (perhaps 10% of the hoplites have curtains on their shields, and 25% in Pilos helmets, etc.), while maximising positions for irregulars and semi-regulars. If you think about it, having every Ghazi waving a vertical scimitar while rolling his eyes Heavenwards can share very little with what the reality must have been.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

John Cook

25 September 2020, 08:33:44 AM #21 Last Edit: 25 September 2020, 08:38:08 AM by John Cook
The ACW range has the issue of poses sorted very well.  You have infantry packs of either marching, advancing or firing.  Generally speaking, in my view, regular troops should look like regular troops and cavalry, in particular, not like a band of Apaches.

Zippee

Quote from: FierceKitty on 25 September 2020, 02:40:13 AM
I've come to prefer regulars in almost the same pose and gear (perhaps 10% of the hoplites have curtains on their shields, and 25% in Pilos helmets, etc.), while maximising positions for irregulars and semi-regulars. If you think about it, having every Ghazi waving a vertical scimitar while rolling his eyes Heavenwards can share very little with what the reality must have been.

Agreed, I should have mentioned that Gauls and such are as varied  as they come (getting more 'regular' around the boss
Gallic Warriors - FP Group B - 02 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

as are the less well trained
Asiatic Levy - FP All - 00 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

whilst the stolid are well more stolid
Imitation Legio - FP All - 01 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

mollinary

Zippee, those are Tree Mend Us!!!!!!!!!!!  Congratulations.  =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :-bd
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

These are Pendraken? Appears to me to belie some recently expressed criticism elsewhere. Outstanding art work, Zippee!  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mollinary

Quote from: Westmarcher on 25 September 2020, 08:02:06 PM
These are Pendraken? Appears to me to belie some recently expressed criticism elsewhere. Outstanding art work, Zippee!  :-bd

Sadly, these all seem to be 15mm, so only relevant for the debate regarding poses.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Steve J

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd

Even if they are the wrong scale ;)

And good examples of how different troop types benefit from different poses
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Put them in a hot oven and melt them down to 10mm, touch up the paint, and there you go!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Zippee

Sadly yes all 15mm and hardly relevant to French Guard Cavalry

15mm Essex Gauls/Galatians
15mm Essex Asiatic Levy
15mm Essex Imitation Legionaries

thanks for the plaudits but only intended to visualise the basing discussion.