Windows 7

Started by Heedless Horseman, 06 September 2020, 02:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Is there anyone, apart from myself, STILL using Windows 7 on their PC? If so, are you having problems with online ordering at some sites?
Maybe someone clued up in the computer world can advise?   :)

For last 3 yrs, I have been using a 'resurrected' pc with Windows 7. It has its own, very annoying, reliability problems...but has been ok for ordering stuff until a couple of weeks ago. Now, on at least 3 sites where I had no problems, either:

Items will not add to cart even if a 'successfully added' message comes up,
or
Payment just goes so far and things just sit there 'waiting'.

Have more modern versions of Windows recently been upgraded to the extent that W7 is no longer compatible in some ways?  New, 'improved' websites???

ebay and Paypal still seem to work fine...for the moment...and I have not tried to order from Pendraken since the issue started to arise. so do not know if it any order will be similarly affected.

I DO have a 'new' pc...and router...still boxed after more than 2 yrs...BUT. :(  Last time I installed a new pc, it took about a full day of installing internet connection, Norton Security, etc, etc...and continually returning to install 'updates'. I don't have the free time for this now! :( :(  NO days off! :(  Also, I suspect that Windows 10 may be significantly different to use...I DON'T want it... (I HATE the idea of 'Cloud'!), but, if 7 is getting squeezed out???  :( :( :(

Just wondering?   :( :)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

fred.

I don't recall any specific recent updates, but you are going to have the problem that there are ongoing security updates to Windows and Browsers all the time. And at a certain point these will stop working with older OS like Win7

If you have a new computer get it unboxed and setup. Yes it will take a while to do all the updates, but you don't have to sit there and watch these, nor do you have to do them all at the same time. You can run both computers for a while, whilst you get the new one working as you want.

Yes the new version will be slightly different, but it's not that different and I don't recall any great hassle swapping over.

You really need to bite the bullet on this, as you are either going to have security holes from old software, or sites are just going to stop working due to them using newer protocols etc that your old PC won't support.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I'd agree with Fred. You may also find that you can upgrade your current box to Win10. My old laptop came with 7, and now has 10, but it's prerdecessor wouldn't upgrade.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Unless he's 'upgraded' to 10......I've got a feeling Mark (Orcs) may still be running '7'. :-\

I still run '8.something'..... after all the problems I had with '10' when it 'first arrived'.
I won't bother with 10, until this PC gives up the ghost. I assume the glitches that I suffered from back then, will have been well and truly ironed out by now.

Cheers - Phil. (The computer Numpty.) :-[

mmcv

It's likely the web browser, if you're using Internet Explorer it's now obsolete as web technology has moved on considerably in the past few years so might be worthwhile downloading Firefox or Google Chrome.

Saying that I would highly recommend upgrading your computer, as Windows 7 reached its end of life in January so is no longer supported by Microsoft. This means as time goes on it becomes more vulnerable to security exploits.

Win10 is a bit different to use, though can be tweaked to be fairly similar to Win7. Unfortunately as technology moves on it is something you have to adapt to.

Another option would be to go down the route of a tablet or Chromebook for a simpler interface.

The cloud itself is nothing to be concerned of. It's just a fancy term for concepts that have been around in computing a while. Most of the sites you visit will be technically on the cloud. And you don't need to store any photos, etc on a cloud storage service if you don't want to, it's simply more convenient than having it on a fallible hard drive!

Wulf

I work for local council in the IT department. We have hundreds, if not thousands, of computers still running Windows 7... and still running Internet Explorer.

We did intend to upgrade, but... stuff happened... :-&

Internet Explorer is far more likely to cause issues than Win7, but there still may be problems.

steve_holmes_11

I'd agree with the last 2 posters.
It's your browser that does the chatting with the sites.
Do you know which browser you're using at present.

I get on OK with Chrome, some tech-heads look down their noses at it and swear by Firefox.
Unless you're doing fairly complex stuff, I'd guess that either is a good option.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Still using Windows 7 because my current personal (as opposed to family) PC is venerable....

Still get on fine with Firefox but for the few sites where it speaks a different language to the website I switch to Chrome.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Heedless Horseman

Cheers Chaps. Will have a go at another Browser. I did install Firefox on a pc that broke but never used it. Keep getting pop-ups for Chrome...but might be safer to find the site rather than click on a pop-up? Will see.  :)

The 'new' pc will have to wait a while longer...too many other thing have to happen about the house. And, yes, this pc may BLOW!  :o  There is a fan which can switch on rather alarmingly after a while!  =)

John Cook

What mmcv said.   Upgrade to Windows 10 if your machine is able to run it.  you'll get used to it in no time and I haven't experienced any problems with it.  I'm on my second Windows 10 machine.  Don't worry about the Cloud, you don't have to use it if you don't want to.  I still back-up to a remote hard disc.

Techno

Quote from: John Cook on 07 September 2020, 01:47:52 AM
I still back-up to a remote hard disc.

Same here...except I back up to two external hard-drives..Just in case one of those goes waffy. ;)
I don't bother with the cloud.

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

I "upgraded " to Windows10 when they stopped doing security updates. Microsoft has left a back door open for free upgrades. Can' t remember where link was but a bit of searching should find it.

Would look it up for you but am on holiday at the mo and hate using Mrs Orcs tablet
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

Quote from: Orcs on 07 September 2020, 06:59:19 PM
I "upgraded " to Windows10 when they stopped doing security updates. Microsoft has left a back door open for free upgrades. Can' t remember where link was but a bit of searching should find it.

Would look it up for you but am on holiday at the mo and hate using Mrs Orcs tablet

Link:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/02/04/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-in-2020/

Heedless Horseman

Installed Google Chrome. Well, that solves the ordering problem, on a couple of sites, anyway. So, the issue WAS Internet Explorer. Windows7 to 10 upgrade...we'll see, when time allows.  Many Thanks.   :)