Are you a fellow sufferer

Started by exilesjjb, 13 January 2011, 05:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exilesjjb

Figmentia
Lately it has been observed that many persons involved into the hobby of collecting and painting miniatures show signs of a new so far unknown disease, the Figmentia. In this publication the authors try to achieve the following goals:

Enable the reader to make a medical correct diagnosis of Figmentia.
Give the patient the feeling not to be alone.
Enable the patients relations to develop a understanding for his problems.
To make this knowledge about Figmentia public to get more people interested in the research of this fascinating disease.
Now let us define the term Figmentia.

Figmentia (fig-men'sha) 1. An irreversible deterioration of one's intellectual faculties with accompanying mental disturbances resulting from an obsessive compulsive indulgence in the miniatures hobby. 2. The state of believing in the corporal and sentient nature of miniature figurines. Origin: the term was first used by Bob Lippman on the mini-painter mailing list as an amalgam of "figure" and "dementia".

Victims of Figmentia are often found in so called gaming stores or are gathering at so called conventions around some colored toy soldiers.

A number of common signs of Figmentia will follow below, but there are more terms to introduce that are closely related to Figmentia.

Figmata (Fig-mah' tah) 1.The appearance of wounds upon the hands, feet or upper thighs due to the painting of miniature figurines. Often accompanied by discolorations of the thumb and fingers (pigmenta) and characterized by the belief that the infusion of blood into the painting process will increase the potency of the miniature. 2. The appearance of wounds upon a person who interferes with the miniature painting process. 3. The physical signs of Figmentia. 4. An exclamation made by miniatures hobbyists upon injuring themselves while converting miniatures (especially while in the presence of their underage issue) as in: "oh Fffff...figmata!" Origin: the term was first used by Peter Blackwell on the mini-painter mailing list as an amalgam of "figure" and "stigmata".

Modern science attempts to explain these injuries as the result of the accidental mishandling of X-Acto knives, Dremels, or sharpened weapons on the miniatures themselves. Many religions, however, believe this to be a sign or omen from the Miniature Pantheon.

Victims of Figmentia or Figmata are also often called Miniacs.

We are sad to say that so fare no cure has been found against Figmentia. It is rumored that marriage with children or getting a real job after college did help in some very rare cases.

Parapsycologists have also encountered the phenomenon of Paintergeists. These are figmented persons who can't find their peace in afterlife until every miniature in their collection has been painted.

To know if you are a figmented person you should check with the following symptoms and when you find out about new symptoms of Figmentia please dont hesitate to submit them.

the above was taken from http://miniature-painting.net/figmentia

So I guess I should start... my Name is James and I'm a Miniac ;D
Peace
James Brewerton (Exiles Painting)

nikharwood

Luvvit...

[raises hand] My name's Nik & I'm a Miniac too.

Maenoferren

Love it  ;D
would raise my hand and speak, but one had is holding two bits of  figure together until the superglue dries and mouth is full of paintbrushes bristles inwards to ensure a neat point  :D
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

nikharwood

Quote from: Maenoferren on 14 January 2011, 12:28:03 AM
Love it  ;D
would raise my hand and speak, but one had is holding two bits of  figure together until the superglue dries and mouth is full of paintbrushes bristles inwards to ensure a neat point  :D

Nice....I do have to ask what are you typing with though?  :o ;) :D

Steve J

I'm Steve and definately a Miniac :).

Maenoferren

Nik I think it best you don't ask :)
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Yup!

Now pass the bucket of lead and no one gets hurt!  ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Pruneau

Quote from: nikharwood on 14 January 2011, 12:33:08 AM
Nice....I do have to ask what are you typing with though?  :o ;) :D

Nooo.  It's in my mind now  :o
Boardgames: MMP ACW, ASL ᴥ BKC & SSOM - WW2 (In development) ᴥ Flying Lead - Sci-Fi: Shocktroops, Pulp, Spugs ᴥ WH - Greenskins, Dwarfs

http://hiording.blogspot.com - http://runequestfun.blogspot.com - http://secondsquadonme.blogspot.com

ʎɐqə ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎəʞ ɐ ʎnq ı əɯıʇ ʇsɐl əɥʇ sı sıɥʇ