Figures for UK Dark Ages armies.

Started by GridGame, 07 September 2020, 10:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno on 16 September 2020, 04:33:59 PM
Who me ?......Damn sauce !  ;)

'Ere......What 'age' are Goths/Visigoths ?

I made some of those about three years ago.....
Leon could have those.....But three figures aren't going to make a range.

I made a whole load of figures for firm 'X'...which I got paid for...then made the mistake of making a lot of others, which I knew were 'in the pipeline', to get in front of myself.

They'll be sitting gathering dust forever now. :( =)

Cheers - Phil (Hey, Ho  ;))

Some of the Picts do well as Goths too, and Magister Militum also have some. A Gothic army is easy to assemble; they make up about a third of my Huns, and a fair whack of my late Romans as well.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: paulr on 16 September 2020, 09:03:52 PM
:o :o :-/ :-/
I thought hijacking a thread was the rule ;D

I wonder how many threads of three or four pages (or more) haven't gone off at a tangent, at least once ! ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil ;)

Ithoriel

Quote from: Techno on 17 September 2020, 06:52:58 AM
I wonder how many threads of three or four posts (or more) haven't gone off at a tangent, at least once ! ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil ;)

FIFY :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

steve_holmes_11

I knew some reenactors who insisted that the warriors of each nation looked essentially the same.
The whole "Vikings with eyeglass helmets and Normans with noseguards" was down to different centuries of helmet tech - they said.
It certainly fits with the Sutton Hoo dig being "Saxon".

A couple of points to expand on this.

The Warriors may have looked similar, this doesn't apply for the levies who would complete the shieldwall and supply skirmishers.

In the event of a raid (Much more common than an all-out war) the attackers would be mainly warriors, and only the home-team would have their levies and skirmishers in significant numbers.

Ithoriel

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 18 September 2020, 08:27:57 AM
I knew some reenactors who insisted that the warriors of each nation looked essentially the same.
The whole "Vikings with eyeglass helmets and Normans with noseguards" was down to different centuries of helmet tech - they said.
It certainly fits with the Sutton Hoo dig being "Saxon".

A couple of points to expand on this.

The Warriors may have looked similar, this doesn't apply for the levies who would complete the shieldwall and supply skirmishers.

In the event of a raid (Much more common than an all-out war) the attackers would be mainly warriors, and only the home-team would have their levies and skirmishers in significant numbers.

The home team is likely to be the local lord with his hearthguard and a lot of local levies facing a smaller but but better armed and trained band of thugs warriors.

The Sutton Hoo helmet is more Late Roman than anything else.

I suspect the reason many "sword and board" historical dramas on TV and film have so much fantasy armour is because the film makers took one look at the historical outfits and went,"how will the audience know who is who?"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Sunray

Movie/TV potrayal is a hostage of budget/props.  Its not just a sword & board dilemma.

How many WW2 movies starred the M3 Americam Halftrack as German?  Patton tanks proxied for Tigers in the Battle of the Bulge,  A US Warship for Graf Spee etc.

Bridge too far has a modern German Leopard I proxy for a Panther. 

Only as museums and re-enactment groups invested in more engine restoration did we get treated to real "runners". 

With the end of communism we got modern version of the Sd Kfz 251 - the OT810 which was often restored to the WW2 version.