Figures for UK Dark Ages armies.

Started by GridGame, 07 September 2020, 10:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GridGame

I am trying to create armies potentially involved in UK conflicts 900 – 1000 AD: Anglo-Saxon / Anglo-Danish, Norman, Pre Feudal Scottish, Viking, Welsh, Norse-Irish.
The Dark Ages ranges are short of some figures and I have been looking at other ranges for potential candidates.

For PF Scottish ARL 6 unarmoured with a mix of weapons for a 'warband' (Galwegians)? and ELM 19 Gallowglass?

For Norse-Irish ELM 12 Irish Bonnachts?, ELM 13 Irish Kerns? and ELM 19 Gallowglass?

For Welsh - ELM8 Welsh spearmen? Cavalry ?

Also there are various figures in the Late Roman which could be used? ARL 10 & 16 militia, ARL 12 unarmoured cavalry, ARL 18 Arthurian figures.

Comments & recommendations please.

Thanks Andrew

mmcv

I've used ELM19 in my Crusader heavy infantry and would use the Irish and Welsh units for lighter troops too so that would work well.

The Elizabethan range also has some Gallowglass and kerns for variety.

The TB Line may be worth a look, most of them are later period medieval but some of the peasants may work for you.

Late Roman is a good one for Romano-British.

FierceKitty

There are those who say the UK didn't exist during the Dark Ages...unless you mean the Thatcher years?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sultanbev

Initially I thought the post was for 2026-2040 armies for the upcoming New Dark Ages....  8)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: FierceKitty on 07 September 2020, 11:00:43 AM
There are those who say the UK didn't exist during the Dark Ages...unless you mean the Thatcher years?

Ok say The Anglo Irish Archipeligo - just for the pedantic birthday Kitty.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

For heavy scots cavalry, I used Later Roman cavalry, mix of armour and unarmoured.
Norman's mixed up work well for elite horse.
Viking and Saxon heavy foot for front ranks of Scots and Irish, as well as their own armies...
Naked gallic foot for galowglas.
Saxon militia in the Late Roman Range also bulk out units nicely too.
Pict range is excellent - I had them made... ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: FierceKitty on 07 September 2020, 11:00:43 AM

I think GridGame means British Isles.
I try not to get too pedantic these days since there are so many permutations.

Pro Tip: Centenary of UK's current borders coming up next year.

GridGame

Sunray

14 September 2020, 10:08:21 PM #8 Last Edit: 14 September 2020, 10:14:26 PM by Sunray
Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 07 September 2020, 10:19:49 PM

Quite right. There were two islands inhabited by Ancient Britons (language was P or Q Celtic) 1.  The smaller  island (Britain) what we now call Ireland and the bigger or greater island was .....Great Britain.  :)

This lecture always confused my American exchange students.

Copplestone castings do a nice range of 10mm Horse Tribe Infantry which pass muster for Anglo/Saxons - 36 figures for £5.75- if you ever want to stretch the period?

1.  P Celtic is today's Welsh , Q Celtic is gaelic.  

Ithoriel

Quote from: Sunray on 14 September 2020, 10:08:21 PM
Copplestone castings do a nice range of 10mm Horse Tribe Infantry which pass muster for Anglo/Saxons - 36 figures for £5.75- if you ever want to stretch the period?

They also make excellent Goths  - the Germanic tribe rather than the dark clothes and depressed demeanour type :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

I think we should write a massed petition to Copplestone asking for more 10mm.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Sunray

Quote from: FierceKitty on 15 September 2020, 02:23:31 AM

Unlike Pendraken they don't run a forum with requests.  :)

Raider4

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 07 September 2020, 10:19:49 PM

I also try not to get too pedantic, but I do get mildly irritated when "Anglo" is used to mean the UK. e.g. Concorde was an Anglo-French project.

The use of "Team GB" at the Olympics is also an anomaly. Do the Northern Irish athletes not count then?

Raider4

Quote from: FierceKitty on 15 September 2020, 02:23:31 AM

Copplestone look like excellent figures, but not seen any in the flesh. Think he designed these to go with the Battle of Five Armies game that GW (briefly) released?

Sunray

Quote from: Raider4 on 15 September 2020, 12:32:54 PM
Copplestone look like excellent figures, but not seen any in the flesh. Think he designed these to go with the Battle of Five Armies game that GW (briefly) released?

That's interesting.  They are neat sculpts as you would expect. I discovered them when enticed by The Last Kingdom and recerating the shield wall.
The Saxon-Dane wars of the Heptarchy was a brief distraction before being lured back to Bush Wars.

This winter I may again flirt with Uhtred and his Arselings.