Operation Sealion Game 1

Started by Steve J, 02 September 2020, 02:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Good one, Steve.  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Big Insect

A great little scenario Steve.

Is there a mechanism for the defenders to be alerted to the enemy in the fog at all?
A barking dog or honking geese, the mist unexpectedly thins for a few seconds, a milk churn gets knocked over or a squeaking gate makes it obvious it has been opened - you know the sort of thing (much beloved of film makers).

We have used the matched dice concept previously - where the attacking player throws a d6 against each advancing unit unit and defender rolls a single d6 for each defending unit. Where the results of the d6's match between attacker & defender, that is where the defender gets the lucky break and spots the unit(s) concerned. You can set it up so that the rolls only occur within a certain distance if you want. We have also played it that armoured units don't get to roll only infantry and infantry support (& maybe deployed artillery).

It can make it less of a certainty that the attacker will get the benefit of the cover.
But I do like the slowly disappearing mist idea.

Thanks
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Steve J

Hi Mark,
the defenders could sense the enemy were there plus the mooing cows, but could not see them due to the mist. When the 3rd Kompanie appeared on the right flank, they were outside of the mist, hence the ability of two platoons to react. I like the opposed die roll idea and will try and remember this for future games.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Quote from: Big Insect on 02 September 2020, 03:44:28 PM
We have used the matched dice concept previously - where the attacking player throws a d6 against each advancing unit unit and defender rolls a single d6 for each defending unit. Where the results of the d6's match between attacker & defender, that is where the defender gets the lucky break and spots the unit(s) concerned. You can set it up so that the rolls only occur within a certain distance if you want. We have also played it that armoured units don't get to roll only infantry and infantry support (& maybe deployed artillery).

It can make it less of a certainty that the attacker will get the benefit of the cover.
But I do like the slowly disappearing mist idea.

Thanks
Mark

An interesting idea, if I've read it correctly it gives the defenders a 1 in 6 chance of spotting the moving unit, it is just that the success roll changes each turn :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Big Insect

Quote from: paulr on 02 September 2020, 09:00:23 PM
An interesting idea, if I've read it correctly it gives the defenders a 1 in 6 chance of spotting the moving unit, it is just that the success roll changes each turn :-

Yes - so each turn each defending unit rolls 1:D6 and keeps that score for the whole enemy movement turn and for all enemy rolls.
Then as each enemy unit opts to move (& only if they move) they each roll 1:D6 - for each turn they move - if the scores for both defender & attacker are equal the moving unit is spotted.
So there is a risk that the more times the attacking (enemy) unit moves,  the more often it rolls its dice with a greater likelihood of being spotted.

It works both ways, so if the defender also redeploys (moves) they roll a D:6 for each movement and all the enemy units within range also roll another d:6 and again, a matched roll means the unit has made itself known.

Hope that makes sense.
You can end up with a 'lucky' (or unlucky) set of rolls sometimes - where 2 or 3 moving attackers end up rolling the same score and one of the defenders matches that score with their own roll. But it is only the defending unit that rolls the matching score that can react.

I've used it in a game where visibility was limited by falling snow and that worked well, with a 10cm range (so no dice rolls whilst units were outside 10cm of each other).
It doesn't tend to work with mobile armour as you can usually hear that coming a long way off!

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.