Libertad! Overview

Started by Itinerant Hobbyist, 01 September 2020, 04:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itinerant Hobbyist

My overview of the new SCW book, Libertad!

Steve J

Thanks for the overview Todd :). I've had a quick whizz through and it looks good and will return for a proper view once eveyones gone to work etc.

mmcv

Changing your channel name, sneaky!

Cheers for this, interesting to hear your thoughts.

Big Insect

Hi Todd

Many thanks for the review - glad you liked the supplement idea. We have others planned.

I'd love to come onto the channel and chat with you about the rules concepts and the idea behind the Libertad supplement.

Please ping me a direct message on the forum and we'll arrange something.

Many thanks

Mark (Fry)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

cardophillipo

Excellent work Mr Fry. Really like the supplement, especially the inclusion of the scenarios. Well done Mark.

Cheers

Richard P

Steve J

I watched it through just now and a great review Todd. The lists look great as do the maps. Can't wait to get my grubby mits on a hard copy :).

Big Insect

Thank you - but I cannot claim all the fame Richard - Rob created the scenarios and his input to the army lists was invaluable and without Leon's hard-work and attention to detail in the editing we'd not have gotten here at all. So it was truly a team effort.

But I am glad you like it.

Like all the Pendraken 'Commander' rules offerings, no-doubt we'll see various new house rules and interpretations spring from this going forwards.
For example - I envisaged the Line Commander rule working equally well in an Iran-Iraq War Iranian Revolutionary army in CWC for example, or with a Communist Chinese army in the Korean War, or even an early Soviet infantry force in a Winter War scenario. The idea is to allow massed movement of units and keep the game flowing. There is no reason why you couldn't also potentially use it with a Tankovy army in a mid-war Eastern Front scenario as well - with your massed T34s sweeping across the steppes.

All feedback gratefully received of course
Cheers
Mark

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Steve J

Having received my har copy today, I posted a review on my Blog based upon first impressions:

https://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.com/2020/10/libertad-scw-supplement.html

Battleback

Quote from: Steve J on 03 October 2020, 01:32:49 PM
Having received my har copy today, I posted a review on my Blog based upon first impressions:

That's for the review! I'll probably pick this up even though I don't have much interest in the SCW currently but I might in the future and at that price why wouldn't I pick a copy up. Also I hope you're right about the Korean War bring the next supplement 😎

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Leon

Quote from: Steve J on 03 October 2020, 01:32:49 PM

Excellent, glad you like it!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

That looks a very nicely presented book - good work Leon and team!

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

Quote from: fred. on 03 October 2020, 08:54:04 PM
That looks a very nicely presented book - good work Leon and team!

Thanks Fred!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Big Insect

With regard to the improvised defenses and armour on the trucks, vans, buses, lorries and cars - I had had the thought that it might be nice to have the basic civilian models and to then offer upgrade kits - so additional steel boiler plates, or mattresses to strap to the roof of buses and cars or the cab roofs of lorries. The apex steel roof shown in the excellent period video posted earlier on in this thread could also be a separate add on.

Another 'upgrade' might be a group pf anarchist/militia riflemen/women kneeling to fire from the side of the lorries. That can be dropped into the back of an open top lorry.
Or a portee field gun & crew that could be lorry mounted.
I know that in 6mm Irregular miniatures have Soviet WW2 open top lorries with the passengers all caste into them. They look great.

Of course all this might be too complicated and might also take away some of the fun of doing your own conversions  :D

Mark

JeffNNN

I like the sound of the conversion kits, though as all my SCW stuff is 20mm it's academic only.

With reference to "line commanders" is this meant to be a specifically SCW thing? If so I can't see any particular justification for it. Or is it something which will be introduced elsewhere as well, e.g CWC?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Mark has suggested he's considering it for other supplements
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021