Recommendations please: British Armour in Korean War

Started by Scorpio_Rocks, 31 August 2020, 10:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Quote from: fsn on 01 September 2020, 09:27:54 PM
There's lovely!

Glad you liked it FSN  :) Been past the Army Museum fairly regularly since the 1980's (its on the main road between Auckland and Wellington) and have say they keep their outdoor exhibits very well maintained. Waiouru is home to the NZ Army's main training area. Maybe they get the guys on the RSM's ***t list to polish the tanks rather than paint stones white or scrub the entire parade ground with a toothbrush?

Quote from: Big Insect on 01 September 2020, 06:32:56 PM
Untill they ran out of fuel I believe  :D

Didn't they have detachable fuel trailers for the early Centurions back in the 1950's? mind you have you seen the fuel consumption figures for an American M1? gallons per mile rather than miles per gallon  :o       
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Yes, mono wheeled trailers. Basically only used by the Sweedes. Mk7 onwards had an extra fuel tank added at the rear, which went some way to aleviating the problem. It may well have been fitted to the Mk 5's during the various uprgades. And no I am not going to go through those.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

OldenBUA

The Dutch also had those fuel trailers according to a book I have. That would be Centurion Mk 5/2 (with 105mm gun) and monotrailer 900 litre.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Scorpio_Rocks

Apparently the swedes added the trailer, rear fuel tank and changed the drinking water tank to carry fuel too!
(they also converted then to diesel engines.) Think the Swedish may have had issues with the Cent's fuel economy...
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Raider4

Quote from: pierre the shy on 02 September 2020, 08:18:16 AM
mind you have you seen the fuel consumption figures for an American M1? gallons per mile rather than miles per gallon

Gas turbine engine. Uses a butt-load of fuel even when idling. Also gives out a lovely hot-spot for those infra-red missiles to latch onto.

Big Insect

Quote from: OldenBUA on 03 September 2020, 10:10:31 AM
The Dutch also had those fuel trailers according to a book I have. That would be Centurion Mk 5/2 (with 105mm gun) and monotrailer 900 litre.

Any pictures of both the Swedish and/or the Dutch trailers would be greatly appreciated - my 6mm Dutch & Swedes could always do with a bit of conversion.

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

OldenBUA

03 September 2020, 02:27:47 PM #23 Last Edit: 03 September 2020, 02:41:06 PM by OldenBUA
Dutch Centurion monotrailer

https://imgur.com/a/UhnHr4o

A google search for those terms will get you several more. Apparently there is a Centurion with trailer at the National Military Museum at Soesterberg in the Netherlands.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Techno

A genuinely serious question. (From a thicky)

How many gallons/litres did a 'tank' use to travel a mile/kilometre ?

Cheers - Phil (I imagine it was horrendous.)

Depends on the vehicle, you could try googling it, but with most it isn't Km per l, rather l per km. These are big heavy vehicles crossing rough terrain Phil, which is why the art of generalship is logistics, not tactics. For a T62 its 450 knm on roads and 320 Cc, with roughly 1000 l of fuel, using 3-3.3 l per km on a road. (It's T62 cause thats where my 83 copy of Janes AFVs fell open)

Hope that helps.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

No, Ian....That's absolutely fine, Matey :)

As you infer, the logistics must have been absolutely mind bending. :o :o...Even 'back then'.

It 'sort of makes sense' that the British army are thinking of 'getting rid' of tanks, from a recent 'news report'.
There must be very few areas of the World where they'd actually be of any use, (logistically) nowadays.

Thanks (& Cheers) - Phil :)

Big Insect

Quote from: OldenBUA on 03 September 2020, 02:27:47 PM
Dutch Centurion monotrailer

https://imgur.com/a/UhnHr4o

A google search for those terms will get you several more. Apparently there is a Centurion with trailer at the National Military Museum at Soesterberg in the Netherlands.

Very distinctive ... I can feel a modelling urge coming on
Many thanks
Mark