Recommendations please: British Armour in Korean War

Started by Scorpio_Rocks, 31 August 2020, 10:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scorpio_Rocks

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book (or 2) about British armour in the Korean conflict?

Our resident Centurion aficionado perhaps?
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Can't think of any speific books on British armour in the Korean War. the Cents arrived in the second wave and were Mk 3's. The Canadians used M4A3E8 and M36's. Inital British armour was from Hong Kong garrison equiped with de-flamed Churchill VII Crocodiles, because they were there. There were also some Cromwells attatched to the Centurion Rgt (probably 9?) as recce vehicles - one of which was captured by the Chinese and dispatched by a Cent. As far as I know that was the only Chinese manned tank encoutered by the British.

Hope that helps

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

I don't have one specifically on Korean War armour.

I think Mark Felton says most of it in 4 minutes 20 seconds.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Scorpio_Rocks

Thanks chaps!

Mr. Felton is usually my first stop on YouTube if I am looking at something military, so have seen that excellent video.

looks like the general stuff I have will have to do
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

fsn

What are you looking for? Histories or technicals?

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

I suspect both ?

A general coverage is Vangaurd 27 - armour of the Korean War - note NOT new vanguard.

Scorpio_Rocks

Yes a bit of both - preferably with some "people who were there"-type anecdotes

Was reading some US recollections and they were always amazed at where the Cents could get to in terrain that was definitely NOT tank friendly.

Research for a possible new period to wargame and stuff to inspire/persuade a mate to join me!
Horatio Nelson.

fsn

Well  there's Armoured Warfare in the Korean War, from the Images of War Series (Anthony Tucker-Jones, Pen and Sword, 2012)

I have British Forces in the Korean War (Cunningham-Booth and Farrar, British Koreans Veterans Association, 1988) which is probably a bit hard to get hold of. Lots of personal stories, but not much in the tankie world

Similarly British Soldiers in the Korean War (Stephen F Kelly, History Press 2012) doesn't talk a lot about tanks.

The books I have about Centurions skip over Korea in a couple of pages.

This is an interesting read - though it is by a Kiwi.
http://antipodeanarmour.blogspot.com/p/centurion-tanks-in-korea-report-by-lt-j.html

If find something, let me know!

fsn

Scorpio_Rocks

Horatio Nelson.

paulr

I've made a start on the Kiwi's report and am definitely enjoying his candor ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 31 August 2020, 10:57:50 PM
I've made a start on the Kiwi's report and am definitely enjoying his candor ;)

Well the NZ Army must have been suitably impressed by the report to buy at least one squadron's worth of them in the mid 50's (11 in total).....because if you drive past the NZ Army Museum at Waiouru you will see this sight.......

and if you go a bit further north (on a good day) you will see this......

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

01 September 2020, 09:02:37 AM #12 Last Edit: 01 September 2020, 09:06:13 AM by paulr
Interestingly the report specifically mentions not traversing the gun like that, at least not to pitch a bivvy over ;D

Quote from: fsn on 31 August 2020, 05:55:15 PM
This is an interesting read - though it is by a Kiwi.
http://antipodeanarmour.blogspot.com/p/centurion-tanks-in-korea-report-by-lt-j.html
Having finished the report I can strongly recommend it, allowances must however be made for the time it was written when it comes to some of the phraseology
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Big Insect

I agree a most enjoyable report - I like the idea of Centurions climbing 1:2 gradient hills in low gear at 2mph but always getting to the top in the end.
Similarly the bunker-busting capabilities of the 20iber was insightful.

The descriptors of the enemy as Mr Chow, Mr WU and Joe was also illuminating. Every conflict has it's slang for the opponents !
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Odd gearing on the Cent - 18 MPH cross country, and 20.8 on a road. The Cheiftain was similar, I've seen working ones go steaming past M60's leaving thenm for dead cross country, and could keep up with Leo I