Very nice FREE Wars of Roses rules

Started by Norm, 28 August 2020, 03:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Issue 393 of Wargames Illustrated have just hit the shelves on the UK high street and included is a free rules supplement from Andy Callan.

They look to be a very nice and sensible set and have been well presented by the magazine. I have posted a quick early appraisal on my blog if this interests anyone. Thank you WI, very good. LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2020/08/never-mind-billhooks-free-rules.html

Steve J

They remind me of Lion Rampant based upon another review, but with some nice activation ideas and period specific details, so not at all bad if they're as much fun to play. Off to your site for a ganders Norm :).

Norm

Steve there are designer notes in the mag and it looks like Rampant was an influence, there is much to like in this set.

Steve J

I'm off to WH Smith's tomorrow morning to try and buy this issue :). Given that the Game of Thrones story line was influenced by WotR, then I can see these rules working well for this and any ImagiNations settings, should one so wish.

Raider4

Andy Callan has written the rules for most of Peter Dennis's Paperboys books, including the War of the Roses one. Wonder if these rules are an extension of these?

If I see a copy I may well pick this up.

Battleback

Nice write up! This has peaked my interest, I don't know a whole lot about War of the Roses but I've always had some interest in the period, I might have to pick up this issue.

Thanks for Sharing

Raider4

Quote from: Raider4 on 28 August 2020, 07:39:58 PM
If I see a copy I may well pick this up.

Found myself within wandering distance of Smith's this morning, so now have a copy.

More cards to make . . . /sigh

(Who am I kidding, I enjoy doing things like that. Although by the time I've finished my butterfly mind will have flittered onto something else (looking at you, Sellswords & Spellslingers))

toxicpixie

Hah, I don't need another set of rules, he says hitting "buy now" on a copy of WI393 :D

Nice report Norm, it even convinced me
To order the card set!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Norm

Thanks all. the official card set is nice, Wargames Illustrated have made a big effort on this issue.

FierceKitty

What would it take to restore the word pique to general recognition and use?   ;D
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

For myself and my friends, it's still widely used and recognised.

toxicpixie

I'm currently reading the rules on holiday. I'm quite piqued as there's no damn time!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Raider4

Finished my home-made cards & tokens over the week-end.

Quote from: Steve J on 28 August 2020, 07:03:27 PM
Given that the Game of Thrones story line was influenced by WotR . . .

Found myself designing Stark & Lannister leader cards yesterday evening. Could also find myself doing English & Scottish, or Swiss & Burgundy, or . . .

toxicpixie

Tokens I have more than enough of but the cards were just easier to buy! Good price point :)

flamingpig0

Quote from: FierceKitty on 16 September 2020, 07:06:22 AM
What would it take to restore the word pique to general recognition and use?   ;D

Being used in a Cardi B video/song
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James