Za Rodinu! Russian Heavy Metal

Started by Kiwidave, 25 August 2020, 04:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwidave

Humbrol Grey primer; Vallejo Russian Green; inked with Army Painter Green; maybe a highlight of Russian Green; drybrush with Vallejo Brown Sand, mostly on the lower bits for mud etc; Humbrol gloss varnish then apply decals; 1 coat of Valljo matt varhish; dry brush with Vallejo Iraqi Sand; 2 more coats of matt varnish.
Tracks: Thinned black, then the Vallejo Oily Steel; then a wash with heavy diluted Windsor and Newton India Ink

Am thinking of trying the Vallejo Decal Fix and Medium - anyone have any experience of these?

John Cook

Well, your system certainly works.  Highlighting can be over-done but you've really cracked it.  I empathise with the eyesight thing.  My 73 year old eyes are not what they were and I've tried all solutions.  I've found that the off-the-shelf reading glasses work best for me.  I have three pairs, a 1x a 2x and 4x.  2x is the most useful.  4x and you end up trying to paint stuff that isn't even there!  They cost about £12 to £15 here in UK.  If you haven't tried them already, give them a go.     

hammurabi70

Quote from: Kiwidave on 26 August 2020, 08:38:51 AM
Humbrol Grey primer; Vallejo Russian Green; inked with Army Painter Green; maybe a highlight of Russian Green; drybrush with Vallejo Brown Sand, mostly on the lower bits for mud etc; Humbrol gloss varnish then apply decals; 1 coat of Valljo matt varhish; dry brush with Vallejo Iraqi Sand; 2 more coats of matt varnish.
Tracks: Thinned black, then the Vallejo Oily Steel; then a wash with heavy diluted Windsor and Newton India Ink

Am thinking of trying the Vallejo Decal Fix and Medium - anyone have any experience of these?

Very helpful; I am doing mine soon.

Noktu

Awesome work! When can we expect some more pictures?

Kiwidave

Quote from: Noktu on 17 September 2020, 09:07:40 AM
Awesome work! When can we expect some more pictures?

When I get the painting mojo back again - it's bit random, so coud be tomorrow, could be in a month!

If you like, you can have a look at stuff I've done ages ago: http://kiwidave.pbworks.com/w/page/7780161/Photos%20Index
I haven't very good at mainting this site (for various reasons like moving to NZ and the back to UK!)

Things in the WW2 10mm to-do list:
Eastern Front:

• winter Russian troops, German troops and armour;
  • finish the remaining summer infantry for both sides;
  • touch up a lot of the summer vehicles, as I de-based them all a wile ago and the trackes/wheels need attention
  • build and paint some 1/144 armour kits