Ink comparison

Started by Kiwidave, 25 August 2020, 02:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwidave

My supply of Army Painter Light Shade ink is running low, and I'll need a replacement soon. Does anyone know how the Vallejo inks compare to the Army Painter ones? I quite like the AP inks, but would prefer to buy from Pendraken if I can, which means getting the Vallejo Game Inks.

Cheers,

KD

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Windsor and Newton calligraphy inks are awesome!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Kiwidave

I've got some of those (pyramid-shaped bottles?), but I didn't have much joy with them. They seemed to take forever to dry, and (from memory) leached into the paint as well :(
And having just checked them, the Peat Brown has set!

Techno

Don't think those are the same ones, Dave.

The old 'pyramid' bottled ink used to give a bit of a 'glossy' finish.....and if you left the models in bright sunlight, the ink's colour could shift quite dramatically. :(

Cheers - Phil :)

Kiwidave

Cheers Phil. I may have another go with them then. The HobbyCraft store here sells them (or used to), so not hard to get hold of.

Techno

If they're the 'drawing' inks rather than the calligraphy inks, I'd just be a little bit careful, Dave.

(Unless they've changed the 'formula'.  ;))

Cheers - Phil

Norm

Comparing the vallejo inks, I would say they are stronger than the army painter and would thin by an extra ratio of 1, so if you do water (Or medium) to ink at 2:1, I would go 3:1 (or even 4) and do a test.

fred.

I've found all 3 quite different and prefer the AP washes (even though vallejo is my preferred paint brand).

As Norm says the Vallejo inks are much darker, and I find they act far more as stains rather than washes.

I have some of the W&N inks in glass bottles, but haven't used them in ages, perhaps I need to try them again.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Kiwidave

Thanks for the input :)

I use the AP inks neat. I use W&N India Ink for inking metals, but heavily diluted as it makes everything black otherwise!

jimduncanuk

Be wary of the Winsor & Newton inks. I have had the occasional disaster with them.

It seems they are 'drawing' inks so are expected to be applied to paper or parchment.

There may be other types of ink in their range but I am not familiar with them.

I have used them to shade acrylic painted figures. The effect is often pleasing.

I have had them pool badly on some figures.

I have had them lift after being varnished.

They have to be left a long time to fully dry which requires a level of patience which I rarely have.

Army Painter inks are designed to work with acrylic paints. I like them a lot.
My Ego forbids a signature.