Uploading images to the forum using Imgur

Started by mmcv, 24 August 2020, 10:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

This has come up a few times and I've been meaning to do a bit of a user guide on how to upload images to the forum using Imgur. The process is reasonably straightforward if you have photos on your phone, tablet or computer.

I'll not show you how to sign up as it's fairly standard if you go to Imgur.com.

It's a site for sharing and storing images so you'll see a lot of random pictures in the site but you can chose to make your own non public.

For uploading from the website:

Click the new post button. A post is just the collection of images you'll be creating.

You'll see the above screen. You can either drag and drop images into the box on the left, or click on the link on the top right to find a file on your machine. You can select and add multiple images.

Once uploaded it'll take you to the post view above. I always set my posts to hidden as they'll not appear on the main Imgur site, just within your own private posts.

If you hover over an image you'll see the above options. It may look different depending on your screen size or device but you should be able to click the icon on the top right of the image to open the menu. You can then pick the Get Share Links one.

On the share screen you can choose the BBCode option, this will make a forum link image and put it in your clipboard. You can then go to the forum post and paste that link in.

The above screen shows the link pasted in to a forum post. The link will be surrounded by img tags. Within these tags you can define height and width for the image. This is particularly useful with high quality photos that can often end up being very large. A width of around 800 generally fits well.

E.g.

[img width=800]https://i.imgur.com/DlpV01p.png[/img]

For uploading from an app:

I'm using an Android phone for this but the process should be similar for other devices.

In the app look for the camera icon at the bottom.

This will bring up a gallery view of pictures on your device. You can pick one or more images to upload from here. Once selected it will present you with the post options screen.

As with the web I like to set them to hidden so tap where it says public and change the link to hidden. Once done to upload.

This will process the uploading and notify you when done. From there you can then view the images. You can either tap and hold on an image or use the share link underneath it to bring up the sharing options.

From there tap Copy URL. This may look slightly different on other devices but options should be similar.

With the link copied to your clipboard you can then go to your forum post and paste it in.

Highlight the link you've just pasted in (often if you press and hold it'll auto select that whole line for you) then click the image button on the tool bar above the text window.

This will wrap in the the img tags. You can then add the height and width options as described on the desktop upload.

If you ever want to find your pictures again you can click on your account icon, either the person icon in the bottom right or a colored circle with your username in the too right and find them under your posts.

I hope this is clear and useful to anyone wanting to share pictures with the forum. I've found this to be the easiest way to do it. Only takes a couple of minutes to get photos up. If you've any issues reply here and myself or someone else I'm sure can offer advice.

Techno

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Quote from: Techno on 25 August 2020, 07:46:20 AM
Good man Matthew !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil :)

Is it possible to get this pinned so new people can find it easily? I just want to see more pretty pictures on the forum!  ;D

Techno

25 August 2020, 08:20:21 AM #4 Last Edit: 25 August 2020, 08:31:10 AM by Techno
Quote from: ianrs54 on 25 August 2020, 07:51:12 AM
Phil don't try it, you will break it.  :d

ME ?.......damn sauce !!......The computer whiz kid (NOT).....If Imgur stops working this afternoon, you'll know the reason why. :D

Quote from: mmcv on 25 August 2020, 07:59:28 AM
Is it possible to get this pinned so new people can find it easily? I just want to see more pretty pictures on the forum!  ;D

Yes.....But I'll probably let Leon do that, otherwise I might break the forum. X_X
(I've got a feeling that I CAN do that, without doing too much damage....So I might have a go.) :-SS

Cheers - Phil ;)

No...changed my mind. :D

There should be a files tag somewhere Phil.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

I can see quite a few 'extra' tags, Ian.....But not one that says 'Pin'.

I'd hazard a guess (which is why I won't do it  X_X) that the 'Sticky' button would do what's needed. :-\

I'll drop Leon a quick 'mail. ;)

Cheers - Phil :)

mmcv

Raider4

Ahh, brilliant!

Thanks for this mmcv, I always struggle on those rare occasions when I try and post a picture. I'm sure this will help tremendously.

Techno - Yes, make it sticky.

Ben Waterhouse

Many thanks, very useful for computer idiots like me...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

mmcv

Do let me know if any bits are unclear or I've missed anything, but I hope it goes smoothly when you next try it out.

Techno

'Stickied' ...Now lets see if that makes it bold and pinned.  :D

Cheers - Phil

(Oooh!....It worked !  :))

mmcv

:D

Now let all the pretty pictures roll in!

John Cook

Very helpful.  I've tried signing up but have yet to find a user name Imgur will accept.  Any ideas?

fred.

Add a bunch of numbers or letters to the end. Or string a number of words together

The bane of high usage systems, is unique user names
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts