Waterloo Chess Set Ideas

Started by mmcv, 24 August 2020, 02:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

From my teens to my 30s I played a huge amount of Chess, Go, Shogi and Mahjong but as time went on work/ family/ changing interests meant the circle of willing victims opponents dwindled and vanished.

I inherited my 1920's-era Mahjong set from my maternal grandfather and was gifted my Lewis Chess set and matching wooden board by my parents, as part of my university graduation present. There's something rather nice about playing with sets that have a special significance.

I like the idea of the resin and map for a board.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

Quote from: Ithoriel on 19 November 2020, 04:11:37 PM
From my teens to my 30s I played a huge amount of Chess, Go, Shogi and Mahjong but as time went on work/ family/ changing interests meant the circle of willing victims opponents dwindled and vanished.

I inherited my 1920's-era Mahjong set from my maternal grandfather and was gifted my Lewis Chess set and matching wooden board by my parents, as part of my university graduation present. There's something rather nice about playing with sets that have a special significance.

I like the idea of the resin and map for a board.

Yeah for sure, I'm mostly left playing digitally as physical opponents are rare, but there's something to be said for the tactile play of an actual set, even more so when there's some significance attached to it. I've only ever played the solitare Mahjong (again digitally), sounds like you had a broad exposure on such games growing up. I only really encountered chess (mostly through my dad) and drafts (through my grandad) and only really got into things like Backgammon and Go when I was older and found digital versions to learn from.

FierceKitty

19 November 2020, 10:52:40 PM #32 Last Edit: 19 November 2020, 10:55:18 PM by FierceKitty
Real mahjong has as much to do with the computer game as bridge does with patience. Misleading comparison, however, since bridge is a noble game of science and art hand-in-hand, while mahjong is like rummy, only for higher stakes and always noisier...oh, and with much more satisfying "cards". I have a local aunt-in-law who lost so much money at it a while ago she had to go into hiding for a year or two, and stole and popped quite a lot of the family resources.

Ithoriel: piccie of your set?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Last Hussar

Depends on the mah jong programme.  You can get proper games, but the AI tends to be weak.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Techno II

That's reminded me that I've got my parents' Mah Jong set.....In the attic ?...In one of the cupboards ?

I can remember playing it a handful of times, when I was young,  :'( but not much more than it felt like playing 'Happy Families' ! (Well, the way I used to play it, it did......'Cos I'd always try and collect the dragons (?)......Or the winds (?).

...And we never seemed to use those 'money sticks'...Which I'm sure are really an integral part of the game.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

FierceKitty

That kind rattles most gratifyingly when you mix the tiles up.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: FierceKitty on 20 November 2020, 02:19:53 PM
That kind rattles most gratifyingly when you mix the tiles up.

The name Mah Jongg refers to the chittering of sparrows when you mix the tiles together.
My Ego forbids a signature.

jimduncanuk

Ithoriel

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 20 November 2020, 02:53:24 PM
Is that a full set Mike?

Looks like gaps in the trays.

Yes Jim, it's a full set. The tiles, tray/box and rulebook all came from different sources.

The tiles are from an ex-China Station US marine who stayed with my grandparents in the late 1930's. He offered to pay for his stay. Knowing he was broke they said it was fine and his company was payment enough. He insisted they take the tiles as a thank you for their hospitality.

Grandad was a joiner (chippy) in the naval dockyard, at either Devonport or Chatham, at the time and working with a British-born lascar and mentioned the tiles and his complete lack of knowledge about the game. A few days later the lascar turned up with the rulebook and gave it to my grandfather.

The leather case and trays are intended for jewellery and were picked up second-hand after Grandad was transferred to Rosyth during WW2.

Such is the family story, anyway. But as my Grandfather said, more then once,"Family History, often a mystery!" :)

paulr

More than just family history embodied by those tiles :-\

I've learnt a new word today, lascar
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

20 November 2020, 07:44:55 PM #42 Last Edit: 20 November 2020, 07:49:42 PM by Ithoriel
Quote from: paulr on 20 November 2020, 06:38:35 PM
More than just family history embodied by those tiles :-

I've learnt a new word today, lascar

Here's another then Paul, mistree, a lascar joiner/ carpenter.

Imagine my teenage confusion when my grandfather told me the rules were a gift from a mystery :)

On the gambling aspect, as a student I used to eat in a Chinese restaurant off Leith Walk where Chinese guys used to play Mahjong "No Limit." Not unusual to see cars, houses, restaurants and even a laundrette change hands!

jimduncanuk

I also heard that losing Mah Jongg gamblers who didn't pay their debts had a finger chopped off starting with a pinkie.