Falklands War Casualty figures?

Started by robh, 21 August 2020, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robh

Would be great to see casualty packs added to the Falklands range (for use as status markers).

Also bumping prior requests for a Civilian Tractor & Trailer (Pucara rocket pod could be optional part?)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Tractor, yes.
Puncara rocket, no, unless it's strapped a puncara
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Nice idea, after all Phil does very little !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Certainly not vehicles.  :D........Hate making those....Haven't done any real straight line work for over 10 years.

If there's a call for casualties...and Leon wants me to do some...I've worked out a pose that I hope folk wouldn't object to, as I know a lot of gamers don't really like using a model representing a badly wounded/dead figure.

It's very strange....I'm more than happy to make/convert casualties pre 1900, but more 'modern figures' make me feel a little bit uncomfortable. :-\

Cheers - Phil :)

paulr

Quote from: Techno on 22 August 2020, 08:09:09 AM
It's very strange....I'm more than happy to make/convert casualties pre 1900, but more 'modern figures' make me feel a little bit uncomfortable. :-\

I have a similar perspective on periods I'll play, anything after the 1980s makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable
I don't have an issue with others playing more recent conflicts but they are not for me
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Battleback

Quote from: Techno on 22 August 2020, 08:09:09 AM

Cheers - Phil :)

I feel the same way about even playing current modern battles. I'm uncomfortable playing a conflict that is currently or recently been fought. If I ever build a modern project it won't go beyond the what if's of the 1980's and I will use dice for casualties markers instead of figures.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sunray

If you want 10mm scale tractors - the sort organsied by the late Terry Peck  to mechanically "yoump" supplies - there is a useful range of N gauge available.

There are two unsung heroes who did not get the recognition they deserved. One was Terry,  the other was an elderly Canadian citizen who was allowed to telephone his consulate every day- he took great risks in using the calls to give the Canadians a daly intelligence update on the situation and movement of forces around Stanley.

John Cook

Quote from: Battleback on 22 August 2020, 02:23:06 PM
I feel the same way about even playing current modern battles. I'm uncomfortable playing a conflict that is currently or recently been fought. If I ever build a modern project it won't go beyond the what if's of the 1980's and I will use dice for casualties markers instead of figures.

So do I.  There are, I think, a number of reasons for this, though I'm no expert, but one might have something to do with the way modern conflict it is delivered into our sitting room, via TV, in full colour, in almost real-time.  This is quite unlike earlier wars, film and photographs of which were largely sanitised as far as the public were concerned, and mainly in monochrome, such that we are somewhat removed from them.  Anything prior to the invention of the camera, and the presentation of death is even more abstract. 
On top of all that can be the personal factor.  I have long thought that the Dhofar War in Southern Oman would be a perfect small-scale project.  Local Popular Front insurgents with support from the Yemen, including occasional incursions by the Yemeni army, with support to the Sultan's Armed Forces from British SAS, Jordanian SF and Iranians.  I've no 'war stories' to impart and spent most of my time there out of harms way in Salalah, but every time I consider it, I just can't get started.

paulr

Peter Jackson's colourisation of photographs for the Great War Exhibition and They Shall Not Grow Old film both demonstrate the distancing effect of black & white

I know of a number of veterans who do game more recent periods including actions they were involved in

It is a very personal decision
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Quote from: paulr on 24 August 2020, 03:13:47 AM
Peter Jackson's colourisation of photographs for the Great War Exhibition and They Shall Not Grow Old film both demonstrate the distancing effect of black & white

I know of a number of veterans who do game more recent periods including actions they were involved in

It is a very personal decision

Watching colourised WW2 and WW1 footage does definitely have a much higher impact than black and white. There's a number of good documentaries that do this and it does reduce the "distance" a lot, it hits home a lot more.

sean66

I am a Vet (24 year British Army).
I game all periods and all conflicts. but as others say its personal preference.
I was a member of the British Army Wargames Association. most of us never had a problem with gaming more recent conflicts.
regards
Sean

Sunray

Quote from: sean66 on 25 August 2020, 08:31:24 AM
I am a Vet (24 year British Army).
I game all periods and all conflicts. but as others say its personal preference.
I was a member of the British Army Wargames Association. most of us never had a problem with gaming more recent conflicts.
regards
Sean

Sean,

Thanks for posting. I enjoy watching your tracer.  Here is a modest suggestion.

1. Most game rules require/work better with casualty markers.
2.  Some of us have genuine reserve about modern (especially British) dead/casualty markers.
3.  Let us Remember our dead.  It was brutal, and the memory of the smashed bodies of dead mates still haunts me.
4.  All Veteran charities are struggling financially.  RBL closes Break Centres,  LIBOR cash is spent.  SAFFA demand is skyhigh.
5.  Could Pendraken levy a subscrition on casualty markers ? the base perhaps shaped like a Poppy ? That whilst we war game we never forget the real thing is not a game ? 

FierceKitty

Remember them with affection and respect if you see fit, but levying a fee to go to such a cause strikes me as a bit forgetful that some customers may also miss a grandfather who never came home because of the actions of your heroes (and I don't mean that word ironically).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sean66

Hi Sunray
No I don't think it would be appropriate for a levy. I and many vets I know believe in
if a person wants to give that is his/her/their (political correctness) decision.
point 1 I agree I have different ways to represent casualties.
point 2 I believe that is personal preference (which I did state in my original post)
point 3 If you have seen it you will never forget I agree
point 4 I know a lot of forces charitys are struggling (but I feel that's a lot more to do with the H4H influence than anything else) they have a very slick advertising campaign
all based around current and slightly past conflicts. Whereas people only really think of the legion around the 11th of November (due again to their poppy sellers)
regards
Sean

fsn

Quote from: Sunray on 25 August 2020, 01:14:54 PM
2.  Some of us have genuine reserve about modern (especially British) dead/casualty markers.
I find I cannot game wars that I remember. The 1973 Arab-Israeli is on the cusp for me. The Falklands is out.

I know it's irrational.

I don't use casualty markers.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!