Pendraken Painting Competition And Rules 2011!

Started by Leon, 13 January 2011, 03:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maenoferren

12-14 hours from Aberdeen, 12 direct and 14 via Orkney
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

goat major

is that authentic uniform for the Shetland's navy ?
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Leon

Quote from: AndyT on 23 February 2011, 12:51:45 PM
Maybe instead of taking photos the judges should go on a tour and come to us - I'll ply them with drink and they can view my figures "in the flesh"  :D

They're all a bit scattered around Europe for that!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Maenoferren

yep that is standard summer navy dress for the shetland naval ratings :D
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

MiniPatton

Quick question - I posted the wrong picture of the M10 in the vehicle area, can I re-post the correct picture (by editing) - that was actually a WIP picture I took.

Leon

Quote from: MiniPatton on 24 February 2011, 06:54:50 PM
Quick question - I posted the wrong picture of the M10 in the vehicle area, can I re-post the correct picture (by editing) - that was actually a WIP picture I took.

Yeah, that's fine.  Is the 'Edit' option still there for you?  If not, send me the pic through and I'll put it in for you.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

AndyT

I'm glad I was able to get a few entries in but I do hope that there will be a 2012 competition because I have so much more stuff that I wanted to paint and enter into the comp, plus there's so much more that I haven't even bought yet.

So many toys, so little time...

Leon

Quote from: AndyT on 27 February 2011, 05:41:44 PM
I'm glad I was able to get a few entries in but I do hope that there will be a 2012 competition because I have so much more stuff that I wanted to paint and enter into the comp, plus there's so much more that I haven't even bought yet.

So many toys, so little time...

With the amount of entries we've had, there will definitely be a 2012 Competition!  I'm hoping to get some sponsorship on board as well, so that we can offer bigger and better prizes!   8)

There'll be another type of Comp coming in a few months time, but I'm keeping that one to myself for now!   :-$ [-(

chortle

I need a rest. But I got everything finished bar an M113. Phew!

Leon

Quote from: chortle on 28 February 2011, 02:28:54 PM
I need a rest. But I got everything finished bar an M113. Phew!

And looking very good it is!  Your flag work is excellent.

MiniPatton

Have a few that I finished up and was able to post...waiting for a few more to finish drying (Dull Cote) before I post the picture...hopefully I have time.

I think my painting skills exceed my photography skills - does anyone have tips for taking better pictures?  Mine look dark, so maybe some type of lighting?

Leon

Quote from: MiniPatton on 28 February 2011, 08:21:06 PM
I think my painting skills exceed my photography skills - does anyone have tips for taking better pictures?  Mine look dark, so maybe some type of lighting?

I have that problem all the time with the Pendraken figures, I have to have two big photography light units to get enough light on them.  Have you got any desklamps or similar?

What kind of settings are you using as well?  I'll ask MaximumJpeg for some advice.

MiniPatton

I think I got better pictures this time - I put the miniatures directly in the windowsill with lighting above as well.  Looks brighter - not sure I will have time to re-shoot the other pictures as I have to take my son to an appointment.  Fun to paint so much this month, I think it's the most painting I've done in a long while.  And I bow down to the awesomeness of my competitors - there are some excellent miniatures in the competition and I do not envy the judges.

fred.

Exposure Settings
One problem you can have with a white background is that the camera will see all the white and adjust the exposure down, which will make the model look dark.

Either try getting an exposure setting using a middle coloured card or similar, or just adjust the exposure settings manually, I find I often increase the exposure by a full "unit", and that is often having the camera using "centre weighting" on the exposure.

You can also bracket the exposure - which means taking several pictures will slightly different settings, then picking the one you like the most.

The camera screen is usually quite bright - so can be hard to judge the exposure on it. Also computer screens vary quite a lot.

Lighting
Take care that you don't end up with harsh shadows if you use bright lights - a light tent can help a lot with this. A light tent can be a purchased item (they are fairly cheap) or make one from a box with windows of greaseproof paper for the sides.

Minis are especially tricky as they are so small, so getting lights low enough can be tricky.

The only problem is once you get all the above sorted you will realise that what looks a good paint job by eye, now looks awful when exposed to a high resolution photo!!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Something else that can improve your photos a lot, is crop the photo once you have it on the computer.

MiniPatton - your Airborne command looks lost in a sea of white - but your Stuart looks good.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts