Star Wars

Started by sean66, 17 August 2020, 08:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean66

Just picked up 4 of the 1:164 scale Revell new order AT-AT.
for 7.99 euro each down from 24.99 euro !
these will go with my Irregular Miniature Storm troopers
for Future War Commander Star wars Army.
regards
Sean

Techno

We want piccies !

Cheers - Phil :)

Big Insect

If I could post on the forum (no technical help required folks - as I am working on a heavily restricted work laptop) somewhere I have some photos of my own Hoth Imperial force for FWC with the AT-AT supported by a variety of different sizes 'chicken' walkers and some grav bikes & a horde of Irregular Miniature storm/snow troopers all led by Lord Varda himself.
I think they might also be on my old blog ... if I can remember how to access it.

Needless to say all was going fine until the AT-AT commander blundered and was forced to attack the nearest enemy - walking into an over whelming blizzard of Rebel fire and with its shields down it was soon toast!

I use the largest walker stats from the Imperial Guard FWC list for the AT-AT - and upgraded the shields and downgraded the carrying capacity - as the AT-ATs don't appear to have that much internal troop space.

I also now have some very nice micro-machine Snow Speeders I need to prepare for the Rebels for a return fight. irregular also do a Rebel scout on a Tauntaun - which makes a great Recce unit.

Huge fun

PS: Irregular Miniatures also do some 6mm Jawa types as well - and again those Micro-machines die-cast Sandcrawlers are great.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

At-At carry 40 snowtroopers and 2 speeder bikes.
Think how much space in a warrior apc, then times it up...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sean66

Big Insect.
I've gotten the Jawa's for opposition. I was going to use some of the old Dark Realms Miniatures for the rebel troops.
on the look out for the micro machine chicken walkers and the Snow Speeders.
I know there used to be a rebel scout on a Taunton but thought that was C in C.
Irregular used to do a pack with a Darth Vader and an Obi Wan (but I suppose he can now be used as an old Luke)
regards
Sean

Big Insect

If I remember correctly - code NSF13 - Rebel cavalry (2) for 0.88p is the TaunTaun scout rider.

I used the old Games Workshop Epic Imperial Marines grav bike for my grav-bikes - the ones with the pointy-mask helmets - they are more 'Star Wars' like (IMHO)

Micro-machines also do a Hoth Rebel grav-sled - I have only ever seen (& bought) 1 off eBay.
However, it is after all just an open rectangular box with a control panel on the inside front panel - so they can be easily improvised.

The old Dark Realm range is ideal for Rebels - but Irregular also do some appropriate WW1/WW2 6mm Alpine troops in the peaked caps - and a nice variant on skis - that I also use for my Hoth rebels as well as my Swedes & Norwegian CWC forces - and Dutch & UK marines (in Norway).

Where did you buy your AT-ATs from please?

I am looking at doing a Rogue-One scenario for a future FWC Boot Camp (post CV-19) and all my current AT-ATs are snow based - so I need a few sand-based ones as well.
I already have many hundreds of palm-trees  :D

Cheers
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Big Insect

Quote from: mad lemmey on 17 August 2020, 08:03:42 PM
At-At carry 40 snow-troopers and 2 speeder bikes.
Think how much space in a warrior apc, then times it up...

I FWC I convert that into 4 bases of Troopers, + 1 grav bike and a couple of snow-trooper heavy weapons teams + a command base
NB: house rules - by putting an HQ in the AT-AT it means there are no command penalties - you could do the same by making the AT-AT an Independent unit, but the cost is prohibitive and the HQ in the AT-AT also means that when the Snow-troopers disembark they can be commanded locally

We have had a number of Imperial v Rebels Hoth games - usually with Gordon (Dr Evil) running his Rebels ... so the Imperial forces usually have a pretty tough time of it  :(

Raider4

Quote from: Big Insect on 20 August 2020, 11:41:45 AM
... so the Imperial forces usually have a pretty tough time of it  :(

Which is how it should be, isn't it? IIRC* Imperial Stormtroopers couldn't hit a barn door from three feet.

* Only seen original trilogy

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Storm troopers rely on weight not accuracy of fire
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Quote from: Raider4 on 20 August 2020, 12:16:10 PM
Which is how it should be, isn't it? IIRC* Imperial Stormtroopers couldn't hit a barn door from three feet.

* Only seen original trilogy

I think if the Rebels had been led by Gordon the Battle of Hoth might well have ended very differently!!!

sean66

Hi Big Insect
I found them in a local model shop reduced down clear. They are the new order ones (the front feet seem to be turned in claws, like a sloths)
I spoke to Irregular the "Darth and Obi" figures are in their poshl packs range. so ive ordered a pack with a
few more Jawa's and attack infantry.
I was going to give eact AT-AT three infantry bases and a heavy weapons base and keep the HQ within the AT-AT
this would give a Bn three companies of three bases and the HQ would stay within the 4th AT-AT.
regards
Sean

sean66

in a new hope as luke and Obi wan are stood next to the sandcrawler
Obi wan states the hits on the sandcrawler couldn't of been from Tusken raiders as the were too precise.
then for the rest of the film, they couldn't hit a thing  ;D
regards
Sean

Ithoriel

Quote from: sean66 on 20 August 2020, 01:49:52 PM
in a new hope as luke and Obi wan are stood next to the sandcrawler
Obi wan states the hits on the sandcrawler couldn't of been from Tusken raiders as the were too precise.
then for the rest of the film, they couldn't hit a thing  ;D
regards
Sean

Apparently, Luke, Leia and Obi-wan being Jedi allowed them to disrupt the stormtroopers aim. The sci-fi equivalent of "A wizard did it!" :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data