Hi from California

Started by Jerboa, 16 August 2020, 01:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

John, welcome to the forum - as I say to many newcomers, the forum is warm, welcoming, well read, well informed, well intentioned and .... on occasion, well weird :)

I've played Spearhead and BKC and prefer the latter ... YMMV!

In WW2 terms I'm more at home in The Great Patriotic War or in North West Europe but the Western Desert is a fascinating theatre. If half the tales told by family and family friends who were out there are true I'm amazed the Allies achieved anything!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Quote from: Jerboa on 16 August 2020, 02:46:12 PM
I've painted all of my WSS during the pandemic, so sadly, they haven't been on the table. I'm keen on 'Die Fighting II' for rules, but I also have 'Beneath Lilly Banners.'

Thanks, Die Fighting is new to me, but seems interesting. One of our group is collecting 28mm WSS and isn't sure on rules yet. So I will pass these suggestions over to him.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

Hi Jerboa, welcome to the Forum!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Jerboa

Fred,
I just figured out that your web page is http://www.kerynne.com/games/index.html. Very inspiring. I'm responsible for more than my fair share of your recent hits. I assume you play BKCIV. I may be asking questions.

Jerboa

fred.

Quote from: Jerboa on 21 August 2020, 02:19:00 AM
Fred,
I just figured out that your web page is http://www.kerynne.com/games/index.html. Very inspiring. I'm responsible for more than my fair share of your recent hits. I assume you play BKCIV. I may be asking questions.

Jerboa

Indeed it is, although it is rather neglected these days. But glad to hear you are finding it useful.

We've played some BKC4, but I tend to fall back to BKC2 as that is the version I have played most, so in a middle of a game those are the rules I tend to remember.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Jerboa

Fred,
I found your comments/comparisons of M-3 Stuart (Honey) models interesting. I 'need' a whole regiment of them. Which Pendraken model did you compare? Were they resculpted on 2018? Your 'squashed' pics don't seem to match the current pics.
Thanks,
Jerboa

fred.

Those comparisons are quite old, certainly before the re-sculpt

Let me have a look if I have any of the newer PD Stuarts

Steve J

The new Stuarts certainly do not have that squashed look.

Jerboa

Am I right in thinking the Honey 'mid-war' turret is appropriate for 1941-1942 N. Africa? Doesn't seem right to be counting rivets in 10mm.
Cheers,
Jerboa

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Why not I do it with 6m !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

QuoteWhy not I do it with 6m !

6 metres? The mind boggles! ;) :D

As for the turret issue, personally it wouldn't bother me if it was 'wrong' in terms of dates etc.

fsn

Quote from: Steve J on 22 August 2020, 01:13:19 PM
6 metres? The mind boggles! ;) :D
6 minutes, silly.

Quote from: Steve J on 22 August 2020, 01:13:19 PM
As for the turret issue, personally it wouldn't bother me if it was 'wrong' in terms of dates etc.
Tend to agree. Finding the right Sherman variant is the path to madness.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Quote from: Jerboa on 22 August 2020, 12:05:11 PM
Am I right in thinking the Honey 'mid-war' turret is appropriate for 1941-1942 N. Africa? Doesn't seem right to be counting rivets in 10mm.
Cheers,
Jerboa

If you have the mid-war ones then definitely use them. If you are looking to buy some then I would go with the early war one which has rivets - not least as rivets always look good on a tank!

With Stuarts the US army used almost exclusivly the M5 in action, the Brits used the earlier M3 models, but had the last mark M3 (M3A5?) with the M5 turret. Think the French forces followed the US model.

Shermans - US tried for M4A3, although they used most models, British had M4A4 and M4A1. Soviets and USMC got the Deisel ones - M4A2? althogh later the marines got some petro; ones as well.

Reason for the split is pure logistics - they all had different engines so as far as they armies wanted one model. It never worked.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021