Hi from California

Started by Jerboa, 16 August 2020, 01:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerboa

Hi,
I'm new to 10mm war gaming. I'm starting with the WWII Western Desert campaign (Operation Crusader, give or take a year). This was the period I liked as a kid, so it's a homecoming of sorts. I'm looking at Blitzkrieg Commander IV or Spearhead for rules. So, I'll be asking questions and sharing on the forum.
I live in the Bay Area. I also play 28mm War of Spanish Succession.
Cheers,
John

FierceKitty

That's, like, so cool, dude! (Have I got the idiom right?)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Welcome John! Not a period I've got into yet myself but there's some fantastically knowledgeable people here on all things WW2. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Orcs

Welcome John,

I have far to much stuff for the Western desert. Beware the equipment available in the early part of the western desert changes with stunning rapidity, as do the colours of the vehicles.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

pierre the shy

Welcome to the forum John....

Hope your Western Desert project goes well.

Peter

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

kipt

John,
Where in California?  I am near SF in the East Bay.

Scorpio_Rocks

Welcome aboard!

Some interesting and diverse units in Op Crusader (Sikhs, NZers, Poles, etc and colourful Italian units) - Have fun!
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

paulr

Welcome Jerboa :-h

I'm assuming from your nickname your a fan of 7th Armoured Division ;)

It's a great period and place to game, my main interest is December 1940 - February 1941, before the Germans turned up and added yet more kit

We've played a lot of Spearhead, in 6mm, but not BKC
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Welcome to the forum, John. :-h

Cheers - Phil :)

fsn

Welcome Jerboa.

The Western Desert is one of the few WWII theatres I don't game but it may just be a matter of time.   :(

Crusader is a good choices. Matildas, Crusaders, nippy Light VI's. Italian 11/39 and Ab40's. Great stuff.

Normally I ask people to post photos. In your case, please don't because I don't think I need the temptation.  :P

I assumed your name was Jerry and you liked large constricting snakes.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Welcome on board John and a perennially fascinating campaign to me as it was the first theatre we were interested in as kids,, possibly due to the need for minimal terrain!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Who is letting damned colonials in ? Hi John I'll get a lot nastier  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Welcome.

Early to mid Desert War is a great period, I've managed to collect forces in both 10mm and 15mm somehow.

What rules are you using for WSS?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Jerboa

16 August 2020, 02:42:02 PM #13 Last Edit: 16 August 2020, 02:48:13 PM by Jerboa
Quote from: kipt on 16 August 2020, 03:56:24 AM
Where in California?  I am near SF in the East Bay.

I'm in Alameda, so we're neighbors. I joined the SBGC, too. They seem very active.

Jerboa

Quote from: fred. on 16 August 2020, 10:02:12 AM
What rules are you using for WSS?

I've painted all of my WSS during the pandemic, so sadly, they haven't been on the table. I'm keen on 'Die Fighting II' for rules, but I also have 'Beneath Lilly Banners.'