Attending shows Post Covid 19

Started by Orcs, 11 August 2020, 06:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under what Circumstances arre you likely to attend your next show

I am happy to attend a show as long as their is social distancing
3 (7.7%)
I am happy to attend a show as long as a face masks are compulsory
2 (5.1%)
I am happy to attend a show as long as Face masks compusory and social distancing is observed
9 (23.1%)
I wopuld not attend a show if I had to wear a face mask all the time I was there
3 (7.7%)
I am happy to attend a show without Social Distancing or Face masks
8 (20.5%)
I am unlikely to attend in 2020
18 (46.2%)
I am unlikely to attend in 2020 or  2021
13 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Norm

I am resigned to not visiting a show in 2020.

The show is not something in isolation, it involves travel and the movement of people across areas, which amidst a pandemic is difficult to sensibly justify.

As for threat, it strikes me that the NHS as a whole is frightened of this thing and the government are sufficiently Concerned to have exposed the economy to a debt that our grandchildren will still be carrying ...... that's good enough for me to assist however I can in preventing spread.

Orcs

******************* ALL PLEASE NOTE ****************************

This is just to discuss If, or how you would be willing to attend Wargames shows. Purely and only that.

PLEASE KEEP ALL COMMENTS RELEVANT TO ATTENDING SHOWS

Comments like "I do not trust wargamers to social Distance" or "I am not prepared to take the risk of using public transport to get there" are fine

Please do not make comments on the general situation, or how you think people view Covid 19. As this is likely to get political and personal and the thread will be locked. Like last time

I would like this thread to be useful to see what needs to be done to make a show viable for all attending.

Leons description of what currently needs to be in place is very informative although I agree it does make Shows look impossible for the next 18 months plus

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Pierre the Shy and I were very fortunate to attend our local show Call to Arms last weekend :-[
Two days gaming with about 150 attendees and one trader, a large show by NZ standards

Unfortunately late yesterday 4 Covid-19 cases were confirmed in a single household in Auckland, contact tracing has not yet determined where this infection came from  :o

So Auckland is now in Level 3 lock down and the rest of the country is at Level 2 for the next three days :(
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: paulr on 11 August 2020, 09:04:54 PM
Unfortunately late yesterday 4 Covid-19 cases were confirmed in a single household in Auckland, contact tracing has not yet determined where this infection came from  :o

So Auckland is now in Level 3 lock down and the rest of the country is at Level 2 for the next three days :(

My brother-in-law was in touch earlier tonight about that, have they got any idea yet on the origins of the infection?  That seems very odd for it to just suddenly appear after 100 days of nothing, so I'm hoping it's a regular transmission and not some new facet of Covid that we've not seen before.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Just watched latest news conference from PM and Director General of Health

Currently do not know where the infection has come from; no links to international travel, border workers or isolation or quarantine facilities or workers

Mass testing underway in Auckland to determine if wider spread, genome sequencing being done to see if this can indicate where the infection came from (asking those without symptoms not to volunteer for testing)

Work places of both adults have been closed and all close and casual contacts of the household are being tested

Parliament was due to be dissolved today in the lead up to the September 19 election, this has been deferred until at least Monday to keep all options open
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Best of luck, Paul !

If this situation b*ggers up next years shows, as well........

I don't think I've put this idea down here...(for fear of the usual ridicule)...But I know I mentioned it to Leon AGES ago.....

Would a 'virtual' show be any sort of possibility ?

Don't know whether it's feasible or useful, or even possible.... but I just wanted everyone to know that I've been thinking outside the box :-*.....'Cos I was feeling left out in the other thread.

Cheers - Phil ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Should be, used teams for work and it's reasonably easy, even Phil could cope, and had zoom sess with Rich Crawley a montyh or so ago which worked well.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

They did a virtual show for I think 'The Joy of Six' (can't be certain) on Facebook, where there were updates, videos etc throughout the day. I was thinking that maybe those interested could put on a game at home and either put up a video link (way beyond my skills or inclination!!!) or an AAR, info on what they have bought 'at the show', along the lines of what Norm did a few months ago. i would be up for putting on a game and then an AAR on my Blog for those interested.

PSC have done a few demo games of MeG on line, so should work.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

I know a few people have been using digital tools like Tabletop Simulator and Cassel to run conventions and tournaments, e.g.

And Simon Miller ran a TtS! Tournament a little while back using it too.

Not quite the same as physically pushing things around but I gather those who participated enjoyed them.

Leon

Quote from: Techno on 12 August 2020, 08:00:03 AM
Would a 'virtual' show be any sort of possibility ?

It's something we'll be looking at I think, as it's looking unlikely that Battleground will go ahead now.  I'm not sure what that would entail but we can certainly hit social media with trader adverts, photos of previous year's games, etc.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ben Waterhouse

I wont go to a show that treats me like a diseased leper....
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

While I appreciate we only have a small sample, I think the most telling result is the 20% that are not intending to attend a show this year OR next year.

A loss of 20% of the footfall at a show would be a big impact I think.  I suspect that larger shows like Salute would feel a bigger percentage loss of footfall due to the restrictions they would have to impose and the fact people would feel more at risk at a larger show with more people.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

Salute's got the added impact of international travel as well, there must be at least 10%-15% of the Salute visitors come from Europe and further afield.