A4 E Skyhawk in 1/144

Started by Sunray, 06 August 2020, 01:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I have just concluded a deal to acquire 2 x A4E Platts 1/144 Skyhawks at £20 including postage. (from Japan).

I have been looking for such kit for my 10mm Aircraft Carrier for some time.   It gives a dice driven Suoerpowers' response to bush wars .
The Skyhawk packed an almighty punch in terms of ordinance.

In addition to fictional bush war intervention the A4 saw action in Vietnam,  Middle East, and Falklands.   These little models might change cammo a few times !

Raider4

06 August 2020, 03:21:18 PM #1 Last Edit: 06 August 2020, 03:23:07 PM by Raider4
You have a 10mm scale aircraft carrier?

Bloody hell!

Quick back of the envelope figures - HMS Victorious is ~226 metres long as built - so that's about 1.5 metres at 1/150. Even HMS Audacity would be ~95 cm long!

Bloody hell again!

Always had a soft spot for the A4 - my first ever Matchbox, as opposed to Airfix, aircraft kit.

monkeynut

Just how big is you war games room?😳😳😳
10mm aircraft carrier. Respect Sunray !

🐵

Sunray

Quote from: Raider4 on 06 August 2020, 03:21:18 PM
You have a 10mm scale aircraft carrier?

Bloody hell!

The USS "Wendy" has a flight deck of 30" /760mm .  She is a combo of a number of toy carriers and a bit of scratch build.  Deck to waterline is 80mm, and superstructure is 120mm.  At its widest the deck is 240 wide.
She has a compliment of : -
* 6 bases x 5  US Marines (late 1960s/70s era)
*  one SEAL team 4x2 bases
* one CIA unit - one base
* one Huey
* one OV10
* one CH46
* one PBR Mk2
* one Storch -
*  one Thunderbolt (WW2 vintage )

Add the A4s and a new 5" QF gun as well as some more AAA. Plus need for a landing craft/Buffalo .

She was created for a Boxing Day game based on Behind enemy lines.  A crashed aircraft - in this case an  F4 that someone stood on!, and a crew/film to be rescued.

The Wendy sits off table, on a coffee table of her own. If the bush war has superpower involvement she takes interest.   Plagiarised from Martin's excellent AK47 rules, dice decides the level and degree of US "intervention" to Red team escalation.
1 is sharing intel / air recon. - if the eye in the sky is shot down, that's a plus 1 to the next Wendy dice.
 2 supply of weapons/air drops and 1
 3 is CIA involvement and 1 and 2
 4 is SEAL team "advisors "and 1-3
 5 is air strike (hence the A4s) and 1-4
 6  is boots on the ground Grenada style.

Sunray

Quote from: monkeynut on 06 August 2020, 05:32:07 PM
Just how big is you war games room?😳😳😳
10mm aircraft carrier. Respect Sunray !

🐵

Respect my arse! Want to put your pension money where your post is?
£100 says UUS Wendy is now presently docked on my kitchen table. (She had to be rescued from the stables loft!)

If you accept my wager, I will photo and send to Leon and Techno tonight.

Payment via Paypal to Pendraken -  my nominated charity is SSAFA the armed forces charity.

Raider4

Quote from: Sunray on 06 August 2020, 05:40:21 PM
The USS "Wendy" has a flight deck of 30" /760mm.

Ah, so a little bit of compression. Still cool, I can dig that.

Sunray

Quote from: Raider4 on 06 August 2020, 07:34:34 PM
Ah, so a little bit of compression. Still cool, I can dig that.

Hence her name - USS Wendy.   She lies off shore/games table  on her coffee table.  She is one turn flying time behind the game.  In other words, from take off to table is one turn.   I was casting around for A4s as they are diminutive in comparison to most other carrier strike aircraft.

To date no Red force had attacked her.  But as bush wars escalate it is only a matter of time before an aircraft or an MTB targets her.  Did I mention I have a Cruel Seas MTB fleet in 10mm ? 

pierre the shy

Sounds fantastic Sunray.......time to put on those aviator shades and crank up that Kenny Loggins CD if you're heading for the danger zone......and look out of Mig 28's  :)  
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

monkeynut

Don't understand your post, I was giving you a compliment not saying I didn't  believed you.If I have offended you I apologise, it was not my intention.
This is why I have never joined a forum before as a innocent comment can be taken totally out of context. Maybe I should of worded it better . Apologies again

Ref. Your wager. As a veteran of 3 combat/ war zones ,I am a British Legion member and actively support various armed forces charities already.You have nothing to prove to me as I have to you.
I will be withdrawing from the forum.
Thanks
🐵

Sunray

06 August 2020, 08:43:13 PM #9 Last Edit: 08 August 2020, 11:00:56 PM by Leon
Quote from: monkeynut on 06 August 2020, 08:11:31 PM
Don't understand your post, I was giving you a compliment not saying I didn't  believed you.If I have offended you I apologise, it was not my intention.
This is why I have never joined a forum before as a innocent comment can be taken totally out of context. Maybe I should of worded it better . Apologies again

Ref. Your wager. As a veteran of 3 combat/ war zones ,I am a British Legion member and actively support various armed forces charities already.You have nothing to prove to me as I have to you.
I will be withdrawing from the forum.
Thanks
🐵

No worries mate.  Lockdown has made me grumpy- plus the death of 2 good mates recently .  I obviously misread your email.   I sincerely apologise  
I have just spoke to Techno (Phil) on the phone- he has a jpg of USS Wendy adorned with 1/144 aircraft -as has Leon.   I have asked them to post same on forum so you can all banter me on my poor modelling skills.
No need to pack it in.  With your record number of requests you are already a Forum legend.  

Keep those monkeynuts coming.

Regards

James

Sunray

I am not happy about this.  I misread Monkeynut's comment to be a dispersion on my claim to possession a 10mm carrier, and that I should show more respect to fellow forum members by not telling porkies.

I will email Leon, and ask him to forward my apologies to Monkeynut, together with a £10 credit to spend on the Pendraken items of his choice.

Raider4

Quote from: Sunray on 07 August 2020, 08:44:41 AM
I am not happy about this.  I misread Monkeynut's comment to be a dispersion on my claim to possession a 10mm carrier, and that I should show more respect to fellow forum members by not telling porkies.

I will email Leon, and ask him to forward my apologies to Monkeynut, together with a £10 credit to spend on the Pendraken items of his choice.

Good man.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 07 August 2020, 10:34:52 AM
Sounds like fun.

Its had only one outing - that that was as an off shore base for a flight of Air Calvary Hueys. 
But I did find with proper chance rules, it engaged with non wargamers who appreciate world politics.   
Irrespective what the Captain of the Wendy wanted to do, he still required Pentagon/Oval Office clearance which came via dice.

I appreciate that its only a token carrier, closer to a WW2 Auxiliary, but a lot of what we put on the table is token : the jungle of 10 to 20 trees, the Town of 5-10 buildings, the airfield that disappears off the corner of the board,

Sunray

07 August 2020, 12:42:47 PM #14 Last Edit: 07 August 2020, 12:44:27 PM by Sunray
Quote from: pierre the shy on 06 August 2020, 07:51:24 PM
Sounds fantastic Sunray.......time to put on those aviator shades and crank up that Kenny Loggins CD if you're heading for the danger zone......and look out of Mig 28's  :)  

There will be no Mig28s in my airspace !  This is late 1960s/early 70s.  And the client states are third world.  The airpower is generally  supplementary  as per BKC rules.  So Ground Attack capability outweighs dog fighting.  Because of their very stable weapons platform and unsophisticated electronics   a lot of trainers and early jets, plus piston engine WW2 types flourish.

I have Mig15s and 17s, Sabres, T33 Shooting Stars, Meteors, Delfins, Beechcraft T34s, and even a Spanish built Seata.  I found diecast toys like the Matchbox Cessna 402 that can be pressed into service as recon/troop transport or even improvised light bomber.  DC3s and a hanger full of 1/144 passenger/cargo types can also be used.

Some third world states are forced to look east for arms as west may impose an embargo.  So you find early types like Shooting Star reinforced by MiGs . Cuba is a good example