Base sizes for WW1 Pendraken

Started by Bearwood, 24 July 2020, 05:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearwood

Thanks to everyone for your responses! There is nothing better than direct person to person transfer of information.

I will get hold of the Great War Spearhead rules and go from there.

Interesting that nobody picked up on my comment on the HMG ruleset....maybe they are not even a 'thing'...?

When I have painted up some models, I will put some photos on the forum, for your collective amusement.

Dan

DHautpol

I have just started painting some of the Pendraken WWI figures myself.  I have opted for the early armies as trench warfare has no appeal, whereas the early weeks of the two sides crashing into each other as both are feeling out the enemy seems more attractive.

I've gone for the GWSH rules myself and am looking initially to build a division for each side, which is basically 48 stands of infantry plus machine guns and artillery and a few bases of cavalry; i may double this later to a Corps for each side, but that is down the way.

The GWSH rules suggest 30mm square bases and i went with that. I experimented with the number of figures on each base and finally settled on three; two figures were a bit too spaced out and four figures risked looking too tidy. So essentially one of my divisions requires 144 figures.  The artillery will also fit on the 30mm squares and, as I'm doing the Mons scenarios, I shan't have to worry about tanks. 
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

I've not heard of the HMG rules, do you have a link?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Bearwood on 25 July 2020, 01:13:55 PM
Thanks to everyone for your responses! There is nothing better than direct person to person transfer of information.

I will get hold of the Great War Spearhead rules and go from there.

The scenario books for GWSH are pretty good too, well worth a look, even if you decide to go with other rules. They're on a variety of theatres and periods too, from early war (still fairly fluid), eastern front, Italy / Serbia, Mesopotamia, and the new one on Turkey should be out fairly soon. 

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

WeeWars

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

kustenjaeger

I'm using 30mm x 30mm bases for WWI Russians with 3 infantry figures, MG and 2 crew or 2 mounted figures per base for GWSH II.

Early war Germans will be based the same.

Edward

mmcv

Quote from: WeeWars on 27 July 2020, 12:00:41 AM
www.michaelscott.name/ww1/ww1blog/ww1blog000.htm

10mm WW1 on my old WW1 blog. Bases in Post 7.

Interesting site, started reading through some of the posts. You go to a lot of effort with your blogs!

DaveH

Using a 30mm square base with 3 infantry, 2 cavalry or an MG and crew has the advantage that it will work with the Peter Pig Square Bashing rules or Crossfire. It is what I plan to use for my Spanish Civil War collection of Pendraken figures.

Quote from: WeeWars on 27 July 2020, 12:00:41 AM
www.michaelscott.name/ww1/ww1blog/ww1blog000.htm

10mm WW1 on my old WW1 blog. Bases in Post 7.

That is a really interesting blog, thanks for compiling it.

Orcs

Welcome to the Forum

I have Three nicely painted  WW1 armies that I acquired some time ago. Based for Principles of war, did not like it for that periods, Bought Great War Spearhead but not got around to rebasing them (project number 23 on the list),

For ww2 we use 30x 30 mm for everything and just extend the depth for vehicles. This would probably work well with WW1

Quote from: Techno on 25 July 2020, 12:35:49 PM
Good grief !

Those illustrated figures have got even thinner calf muscles than me!
....and I'd be in the frame as a body double for Judge Death.

Cheers - Phil

When you visit museums and look at the uniforms even from WW2 you realise how much smaller they were
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

I'm not familiar with HMG WW1 rules.  I don't worry much about base sizes and, essentially, what looks right in the eye of the gamer, usually is.  For my 1:1 company level 1914 BEF and Germans (I use the same for SCW and WW2).  I base as follows but any of the suggestions posted above are just as valid:

One infantry element of 3 men:  40mm x 25mm
One MG: 30mm x 25mm
One cavalry element of two men: 30mm x 25mm
One artillery piece up to 105mm: 30mm x 35mm
Vehicles: 25mm x 40mm
Artillery Team: 25mm x 80mm