Great Wargaming Survey 2020

Started by mmcv, 01 August 2020, 01:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

How many painted figures in your collection? Max of 2500.

That's a long weekend for Lemmey!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Scorpio_Rocks

Done.

I, too, wonder about the validity of some questions or whether some were written by none gamers - as I play / have armies for lots of 6mm stuff I have WELL over 2500 figures!
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

mmcv

I suspect the figure count question does show somewhat of a big scale bias, but equally it asks what scales you favour so could extrapolate from that I guess

paulr

Only a top 5 periods :o

As others have noted "More than 2500 painted figures", I have more than that in 4 periods ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Done - some interesting questions this year.

How likely are you to keep wargaming for the foreseeable future?

Very unlikely    Moderately unlikely    Neither unlikely nor likely    Moderately likely    Very likely

Is this a trick question??

As for the how many figures do you have I think they should have added another zero to their figures?  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Sandinista

Quote from: pierre the shy on 01 August 2020, 10:47:19 PM
As for the how many figures do you have I think they should have added another zero to their figures?  ;)

Agree, as in the smaller scales larger armies are more common, I have around 4500 figures just in my LOA forces

Cheers
Ian

Steve J

QuoteHow likely are you to keep wargaming for the foreseeable future?

When I was a member of Portbury Knights wargames club, it was not uncommon for members to play less, pause wargaming etc due to work commitments, starting a family, going to Uni etc, so a not unreasonable question.

mmcv

Quote from: paulr on 01 August 2020, 10:34:56 PM
Only a top 5 periods :o
Yes I was surprised they didn't instead just have us rank all that apply on those questions as there were a few it was hard to pick just a few options.

Raider4

Quote from: pierre the shy on 01 August 2020, 10:47:19 PM
How likely are you to keep wargaming for the foreseeable future?

Is this a trick question??

Well, I dip in and out, but it never really goes away. I haven't actually played a wargame for, what, over three years now. I've barely painted anything in that time. I've bought a few figures, and a few ruleset, and done a lot of prep work for either a spacehulk/aliens-style sci-fi skirmish game, for a rpg-lite fantasy game (probably using Sellswords & Spellslingers, but two other rulesets are also being looked at!), and a Warmaster-style mass-battle game. But none of this has actually yet resulted in a game being played. But I still feel I'm "in" the wargaming hobby, as it were.

There was a another question about "Do you play to win?". What? Who doesn't? What's the point if you don't?

And I don't mean "win at all cost". Just win.

I used to play board games with my mum when small. She never cared if she won or lost, she was just entertaining little me. But even I was bored, knowing she didn't care about the outcome.

mmcv

On playing to win, it's probably more a case of what's important. For some winning or losing is less of a deal than just enjoying the game. There might be those who enjoy the historical simulation or playing out scenarios to see what happens and are less invested in their side compared to that game overall. Then there's those of us who often pay solo where winning and losing are two sides of the same coin.

Raider4

02 August 2020, 09:58:09 AM #25 Last Edit: 02 August 2020, 10:01:00 AM by Raider4
Quote from: mmcv on 02 August 2020, 09:45:13 AM
Then there's those of us who often pay solo where winning and losing are two sides of the same coin.

Well, that's me! And I always play to win.

And winning doesn't always mean to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women. Sometimes it's just get one figure off the north edge of the board, or hold the barricade for 6 turns.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

If only you did.  ;)

Cheers - Phil.

Nick the Lemming

I think we can all understand why Phil's wife is grumpy...

Techno