Great Wargaming Survey 2020

Started by mmcv, 01 August 2020, 01:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Just got notified of the Great Wargaming Survey 2020. Interesting to see the stats and information they compile from it in the past so happy to fill it in to add to that.

You can fill it in here https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/T5H2LVP if you're interested.

Steve J

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Done.

But there's not a thing that helps from a toy soldier maker's point of view. :P
I fear that a lot of what I put down will give the 'psycologist' the headache he deserves. ;D

Cheers - Phil

jimduncanuk

Filled it in but lots of questions I don't see the relevance of. Maybe I'm just grumpy.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 01 August 2020, 03:33:42 PM
Filled it in but lots of questions I don't see the relevance of. Maybe I'm just grumpy.

I agree Jim, but then I AM grumpy....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

I suspect the psych questions are to get a sense of what personality traits relate to what interests. E.g. is someone who is highly competitive and disagreeable more likely to be drawn to game systems and periods that encourage more tournament style play. Do more conscientious gamers enjoy the research and list building, while social players prefer the playing and group activity. Some of those are probably quite obvious answers but there may be a few surprises. E.g. is the difference between primarily fantasy/sci-fi and primarily historical more down to age and gender, or down to particular aspects of someone's personality?

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 01 August 2020, 03:50:47 PM
I agree Jim, but then I AM grumpy....

I'm Grumpy & so's my wife !

Cheers - Phil

jimduncanuk

Quote from: mmcv on 01 August 2020, 03:54:01 PM
I suspect the psych questions are to get a sense of what personality traits relate to what interests. E.g. is someone who is highly competitive and disagreeable more likely to be drawn to game systems and periods that encourage more tournament style play. Do more conscientious gamers enjoy the research and list building, while social players prefer the playing and group activity. Some of those are probably quite obvious answers but there may be a few surprises. E.g. is the difference between primarily fantasy/sci-fi and primarily historical more down to age and gender, or down to particular aspects of someone's personality?

I used to have two chums who were super-competitive, even more so when they played in the same game. It was always a problem having them play in the same multi-player game so I stopped inviting them to play in games where there was a strong sociable theme.

jimduncanuk

T13A

Hi

I'm not sure why the 'psycologist' deserves a headache but I have felt for some time that there is a good thesis to be had on how wargamers 'MBTI types' (https://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/) effects the periods they play and the type of rules they prefer.  :-

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Steve J

The questions seemed markedly different from previous years, such as no favourite manufacturers, rules etc, so it will be interesting to see how they collate the results. As Phil says, what use, if any, it will be )or has ever been) remains to be seen.

mmcv

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 01 August 2020, 04:27:53 PM
I used to have two chums who were super-competitive, even more so when they played in the same game. It was always a problem having them play in the same multi-player game so I stopped inviting them to play in games where there was a strong sociable theme.

Yeah can definitely see where that mismatch can lead to issues. Some people find that hyper competition fun, others just want to hangout and push some models around to see what interesting historical things can happen.

Quote from: T13A on 01 August 2020, 04:42:15 PM
Hi

I'm not sure why the 'psycologist' deserves a headache but I have felt for some time that there is a good thesis to be had on how wargamers 'MBTI types' (https://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/) effects the periods they play and the type of rules they prefer.  :-

Cheers Paul

I'm sure there is definitely some relationship there. I've always been a skeptical of the MBTI as it tries to shoehorn people into 16 different types (https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test) and in my experience a lot of people sit on the borderline of different ones. But some of the underlying theory is interesting. The Big5 (https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/IPIP-BFFM/) addresses this slightly by looking at the different traits in isolation on the scale. Though that's not as interesting as having a "type" to write about!  ;D

Saying that I do tend to fit into my "type" quite well, so it's a bit more accurate than say astrology star signs.... probably.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: mmcv on 01 August 2020, 05:27:32 PM

Yeah can definitely see where that mismatch can lead to issues. Some people find that hyper competition fun, others just want to hangout and push some models around to see what interesting historical things can happen.

I think in this case the 'fun' was long since gone as I do remember a rulebook flying across the table and hitting the target. What I wasn't sure about whether it was a ranging shot or return fire.

mmcv

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 01 August 2020, 05:34:35 PM
I think in this case the 'fun' was long since gone as I do remember a rulebook flying across the table and hitting the target. What I wasn't sure about whether it was a ranging shot or return fire.

Ha! Yeah well if children can't play nice then they best not play at all... And that applies to children of all ages.