Warband Variants?

Started by AndyT, 29 July 2020, 07:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyT

I have been thinking how I might play ECW using a variation of the Warband rules.

Just checking here to make sure no one has beaten me to it...?

Techno

Not sure on that one, Andy. :-\

Anyone ?

Cheers - Phil

Big Insect

I think you are safe on that one Andy  :D

We've used Warband for historical ancients games - it works fine without the magic etc. but we found the troop types a little 'vanilla'.
However with ECW your range of core troop types is pretty limited - so it should work.

Were you thinking of having Pike & Shot formations as a single base?
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

AndyT

Hi, yes if just for the visual effect as much as anything i had combined pike and shot units in mind plus independent commanded musket units.

At the moment this has got no further than a few vague thoughts in my head.

mmcv

Out of interest why are you looking to adapt Warband vs using a system designed for ECW such as For King and Parliament? Just favour the rules?

AndyT

Well I like the large bases from warband, although I realise that big bases are used in other rules.

My small brain struggles to remember too many rule sets so that is another excuse.

I don't know For King And Parliament but I will investigate.

Cheers, Andy

paulr

I would also recommend FK&P, they have a great period feel and always give a great game

I do understand the challenge of trying to remember too many rulesets, but keeping too many variants straight can also be a challenge :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Yeah FK&P works with single bases. paulr above has done some great battle reports with it.