Apps...Can you download..... ?

Started by Techno, 29 July 2020, 07:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Things like the BBC Sounds App onto a PC ?

Absolute piece of widdle to do it on the tablet, but it looks 10x more complicated to do it on the 'main', computer.
Download this, before you download that, then download something else.....and I've no idea what some of the earlier downloads are supposed to do....So I'm reluctant to touch them.

Cheers - Phil.

PS...What's an Android 'piece of kit' when it's at home ?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Phil, you dont need to download to a PC, just go to BBC site and run what ever you want to listen to.

Andriod = tablet and phone op system
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

Quote from: ianrs54 on 29 July 2020, 07:40:52 AM
Andriod = tablet and phone op system

For (pretty much) everything that doesn't have an Apple badge on it.

Techno

I was just being lazy, and trying to avoid having to log in, with username and password every time, Ian.

The tablet 'gets me there' so much quicker with the app. (Which reminds me....I must go up into the attic and find some of the old little speakers which I'm pretty sure are up there....Save having to listen to the tablet's TINY little speaker.

Ah right,..Android's the 'equivalent' of Windows, but for phones etc.

Thanks, Both. :-bd

Cheers - Phil :)

Raider4

Quote from: Techno on 29 July 2020, 08:30:02 AM
I was just being lazy, and trying to avoid having to log in, with username and password every time, Ian.

Shouldn't have to do that. Are you "clearing cookies" every time you close the browser?

DaveH

There is not a version of BBC Sounds for Windows PC. I have my BBC login stored so if I go to Sounds or iPlayer it remembers me on my PC.

Techno

Quote from: Raider4 on 29 July 2020, 10:03:47 AM
Shouldn't have to do that. Are you "clearing cookies" every time you close the browser?

Effectively, yes, Martyn.....I'm pretty sure Firefox clears everything each time I 'leave' the internet when I'm using the PC.

Quote from: DaveH on 29 July 2020, 10:39:36 AM
There is not a version of BBC Sounds for Windows PC. I have my BBC login stored so if I go to Sounds or iPlayer it remembers me on my PC.

Thanks, Dave.....I'll have to remember that, the next time I use the tablet...I've always told that NOT to remember me....I'll give it a whirl.

Cheers - Phil :)

fred.

Phil, if you are clearing all cookies and usernames etc every time you close the browser, you really are making things hard for yourself.

Unless you visit a lot of sites that spam adverts everywhere, I really wouldn't think you get any benefit from this, and a load of hassle on having to keep logging into sites.  I would change the settings to keep usernames, and if you really want to, to clear cookies after a month or so.

I don't think I could be bothered to use the internet if I didn't have auto-enter on usernames (and thanks to Face ID, on passwords too). And being able to sync stuff across multiple devices too.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Agree Fred. Windows should store your passwords and user id's for you, well on most sites. Clearing cache and cookies removes them, and also logs you out of the site. Not good. I would only do it when really needed

IanS

Techno

I only really visit two sites regularly...(at least on a day to day basis)...where I need to log in and use a password....So it doesn't  cause me any real 'angst'.....Yesterday, I was just being lazy, 'cos I was trying to listen to the cricket.

The little 'stereo' on the desk was having a hissy fit, and not wanting to play the radio. (Sorted that, now).....The tablet was in another room having the battery charged...I couldn't be bothered to go upstairs and bring another radio down, so that just left the PC.

Cheers - Phil  ;)

(Von only really visits Faceache, where she has to use a login and password.....and she prefers that everything gets cleared every time. :))

Ithoriel

Having worked in a cyber-security unit for a few months, back when I worked for a living, I'm with Von.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Quote from: Techno on 29 July 2020, 05:14:38 PM
(Von only really visits Faceache, where she has to use a login and password.....and she prefers that everything gets cleared every time. :))

......And her hotmail addy....So that's only four sites between us !

Have to admit, though I find the 'interweb' exceedingly useful, I AM rather wary of it, with regards to the multitude of "naughty" people that are out there.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

Quote from: Techno on 30 July 2020, 06:44:46 AM
the multitude of "naughty" people that are out there.

Does he mean us?  ;D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

No.....You lot are alright.

The multitude of oiks I don't know......

Cheers - Phil  :P