New Napoleonic Rules in development for Partizan Press

Started by Keith57, 28 July 2020, 08:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith57

Hi everyone. I just wanted to flag up a set of Napoleonic rules which I am currently developing, called Shadow of the Eagles.

Some of you may know me as the author of Honours of War, the Osprey set for the SYW. Around a year ago I decided to tackle the Napoleonic period with the objective of producing a set that was simpler than most of the current main sets, would sell for less (no coffee table books!) and that also included some solid background for new players.

Partizan Press have recently agreed to publish the book, and we're hoping to have the rules for sale around Christmas this year.

So I wanted to ask for any Napoleonic gamers (or potential Napoleonic gamers) to join me on the development and playtesting site and contribute your thoughts and suggestions. The current version can be downloaded for free:

https://groups.io/g/eagles-shadow

You do have to register, but it's very simple. You don't have to do a playtest (although that would be great), just reading through and coming up with any initial thoughts is also fine.

I hope you can join me in the journey to producing a really solid and successful rule book for this flagship period.

Keith Flint.

Chad

Will do. I will concentrate on the Revolutionary period that I have been studying for about 2 years.

Last Hussar

Sunjester - Fancy trying the Little Wooden Men with these?
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Steve J

Joining the group allows you to access the rules, plus give any feedback etc to Keith.

mmcv

Interesting, I'm not yet a Napoleonic player but interested in getting into the period in the future so this comes at a good time.

Keith57

@ Last Hussar - as Steve says, the short answer is yes, if you want to download the rules and join the discussion. It's an email group, so you do need to enter an email address and get approval from me to join.

I'm assured by those who know better that 'groups.io' are very kosher indeed, and no security or personal data issues are at all likely to arise. And I haven't refused to allow anyone to join so far!

Keith57

@mmcv - you're just the kind of guy I'm looking for.

FierceKitty

Quote from: mmcv on 29 July 2020, 08:27:10 AM
Interesting, I'm not yet a Napoleonic player but interested in getting into the period in the future so this comes at a good time.

A true wargamer - no period is quite off the menu. I approve.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Orcs

Quote from: FierceKitty on 29 July 2020, 09:56:49 AM

Most wargamers are slappers, if its the only offer going on that club night, they will take it.( and possibly regret it in the morning ) :)  Saying I am not playing "Gorka Morka (other lower calibre wargames are available) " again.  Only to do exactly the same thing the following club night - Much like an inebriated  Essex girl on a Friday night. ( Inebriated girls of other counties are available). :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

Are you implying an Essex girl would ever be sober on Friday evening?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

DaveH

I'll sign up as I do plan to do a Napoleonics project and though I like the Portable Napoleonic Wargame that I have used it is maybe a bit simple at times.

Quote from: Keith57 on 29 July 2020, 09:21:42 AM
@ Last Hussar - as Steve says, the short answer is yes, if you want to download the rules and join the discussion. It's an email group, so you do need to enter an email address and get approval from me to join.

I'm assured by those who know better that 'groups.io' are very kosher indeed, and no security or personal data issues are at all likely to arise. And I haven't refused to allow anyone to join so far!

groups.io is the replacement for Yahoo groups except for the fact it works.....

Chad

Keith

I assume you want comments on the Group site and not here.

Chad

Orcs

Quote from: FierceKitty on 29 July 2020, 11:13:06 AM
Are you implying an Essex girl would ever be sober on Friday evening?

Having grown up in Essex sober  come in many forms from "I am completely sober as I have only had 1 beer" to so drunk the girl in question has a "Sh*g card"  similar to the 18th century dance card, but an Essex girl equivalent.  :d

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

Quote from: Keith57 on 29 July 2020, 09:23:26 AM
@mmcv - you're just the kind of guy I'm looking for.

Yes grabbed a copy of the rules and reading over the introduction it does sound very much like it! I'll give it a proper read through in the next little while and while I've no Napoleonics to playtest with, I have some 2mm Crimean War troops in progress that could be shoehorned into service for some test games down the line.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 29 July 2020, 09:56:49 AM

So much history, so little time...