Et Sans Resultat

Started by Shecky, 27 July 2020, 03:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shecky

Here's my write up of the Napoleonics game, Et Sans Resultat, that I played this weekend.

http://gamingreference.blogspot.com/2020/07/esr-first-game-thoughts.html

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

monkeynut

Great looking figures and terrain.

🐵

Steve J

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

Interesting read and beautiful game!

Techno

Really excellent !!  :-bd

Cheers - Phil :)

Chad

What scale was the game? As I understand the example of basing I read some time ago basing varies according to the scale of the game.

Chad

Shecky

Thanks for the kind words.

We used the 150 yard scale. 10mm figures (of course!) on 30x30mm stands.

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

I believe each base represents a battalion, battery or squadron. I may be wrong
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Shecky

Quote from: paulr on 27 July 2020, 08:03:18 PM
:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

I believe each base represents a battalion, battery or squadron. I may be wrong

That is correct. The author recommends 10 figures per infantry base but try as I may I can only get 8 Pendraken figures.

Westmarcher

Terrific looking game. With 150 yards = 1 inch, it looks like you could fight Waterloo on 3' x 4' playing area(?). The idea of being able to field whole Corps without too much painting and basing time and grief is also attractive. Nevertheless I'm unsure about Et Sans Resultat because, rightly or wrongly, I'm probably still wedded to the idea that you need certain aspects of Napoleonic warfare to make it a Napoleonic game - squares, columns (I'm quite happy to do without the need to represent skirmishers with figures) - so it's helped to make my own mind up that I'd probably prefer a set of rules that involved some 'bath tubbing.'  Of course, I realise that when you play such higher level games you've got to assume that the lower level formation choices and changes will be carried out by their own commanders and that this is not a feature you should be worrying about - your job is to deal with strategy and the grand tactical. Without these typical Napoleonic features however, it makes me wonder how 'Napoleonic' the game feels (and also how it compares to similar level rules like Snappy Nappy, Bloody Big Battles, Volley & Bayonet and Grand Armee).  The more I think about therefore, the more I am inclined to go down the line of thought that you need more than one set of rules to cover the lower and higher level aspects of Napoleonic warfare.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

steve_holmes_11

That looks really good.
Lovely write up too which suggests the rules have caught the "right stuff" when it comes to this scale of fight.

There's an added bonus for me, it looks as through I could divide my Black Powder units into quarters to provide the units for this game.

One idea I'm quite comfortable with is that as the size of the fight scales up, so do its key features.

If you want to be Major Sharpe, you're probably concerned about company boundaries, and skirmish density.

If you want to be Brigadier Gerard then formations of adjacent units, an gaps to shake out into line really matter.

If you want to be Napoleon, Kutusov, Blucher, Schwarzenburg or Wellington; formations start to fade while the size and timing of attacks, cannonades and reinforcements really matter.