Base sizes for WW1 Pendraken

Started by Bearwood, 24 July 2020, 05:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearwood

Hi Forum,

While I am not new to table top gaming, I am entirely new to WW1 Pendraken.

Would anyone out there be able to tell me what base sizes and shapes that I should use for my various troop types: general infantry, stormtroops, flame-thrower crews, field guns, howitzers, large mortars, A7V tanks, etc..?

As should be obvious from my list above, I am collecting Germans, with a view to fighting Western Front battles. I have purchased an HMG rule set, but I am not sure this was the best, or even a good set of rules; any suggestions of alternatives would be great.

Every and all wise input from experienced gamers out there would be most appreciated!!

Dan

Techno

Hi, Dan......

Sorry, I can't help you, myself......But one of the very nice chaps here, will be along 'toot sweet' to aid you, I'm sure.
As that was your first post...A very warm welcome. :-h

Cheers - Phil :)

fsn

What ho Bearwood!

Welcome.

I don't get involved in base size debates. It's the wargaming equivalent of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin".  (Answer - depends on which dance they;'re doing.)
I don't get involved in rule sets. It's the wargaming equivalent of "which was Wagner's best opera?" (Answer = they are all awful.) 

However, there will be someone along in a moment who can speak expertly (and probably at great length) on these subjects.
Then someone else will come along and explain clearly and precisely why they are wrong.

Hope you stay to become assimilated.
And post photos. We love a photo.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nick the Lemming

I'd recommend Great War Spearhead rules, but for those you might need quite a lot of figures - some of the larger battles have well over a hundred bases. Not sure what's out there for smaller scale battles, as GWSH are the best I've come across in quite some time.

fred.

Welcome!

A kind of unanswerable question.

I've largely gone with 30mm square bases for my WWI stuff. Other than for tanks and big guns that don't fit, where I have used 30x50mm in general. For commanders I always like round bases so they stand out.

One question with WWI is around trenches. Do you want to do a skirmish type scale where your troops can fit in trenches? If so you need to go with quite shallow bases. If you go with a larger representative scale then you can treat trenches as area terrain and the troops can be on top of them. But I do quite like the idea of single based 10mm figures for trench raids - but that's just me...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Velcomen - as to base sizes it's what fits your rules, if you are doing the GW spear head rules it's laid down, 30x30 I think, for a skirmish set individuals fit well on board game counters 12.7 x 12.7, otherwise what feels right.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

paulr

Welcome Bearwood :-h

As others have said base size really depends on the scale of battles you are looking to play and the rule set(s) you use

As mentioned Great War Spearhead is the most common rule set if you want to fight with Divisions or Corps

We use If the Lord Spares Us from Too Fat Lardies which is aimed at Brigade level actions and gives a really good game in the more open periods / theaters of WWI
We use 25x25 for infantry and 30x30 for cavalry and big enough for vehicles
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Shedman

Hi Bearwood

If you are doing Western Front Trench warfare then it is worth bearing in mind the width of the trenches you intend to use as this will affect your base sizes.

alan

mmcv

Welcome to the forum! As mentioned before, please share pictures of what you get up to, we all love a bit if inspirational photography  :D

fsn

I've steered clear of WWI so far ... for many reasons ... except for that small foray into East Africa prompted by the Pendraken release of giraffes .... I see WWI as 3 wargaming periods (yes I know it's over simplistic)

• the 1914 "Old Contemptibles"
  • The 1915-1917 trench "Lions Led by Donkeys"
  • the 1918 "Through Mud and Blood to the Green Fields Beyond"

I may eventually try out the 1914 or 1918, but I don't think I have the energy or space for a trench system. However, I am not above appreciating and applauding those who do. If I were to do that period, I would go for a low level - trench raid type game rather than the division level great breakthrough. Fray Bentos rather than Flers-Courcelette.

Or the Eastern Front.

Or something to do with the Austrians.

Sorry. Rambling.   

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

sultanbev

Of all the WW1 campaigns, only the East African one ever appealed to me. That and the Russian Civil War.
Somewhere I have some random terrain rules for East Africa, including random casualties due to crocodiles or hippos.....

As for base sizes, rectangular ones look better than square. Whether you base is representing a squad or a company, all infantry units had greater width than depth. So reflecting this with your bases kinda makes sense.

Mark

fsn

Oh c'mon! What's not to love about the 1914 campaign. Look at the pretty uniforms*! It's like the FPW with the improvement of having the British there.**

* Why is there a camp shepherd in the middle of the French army?
** Joking

sultanbev

:) yes, indeed, the uniforms are great. Just not the tactics...

Techno

Good grief !

Those illustrated figures have got even thinner calf muscles than me!
....and I'd be in the frame as a body double for Judge Death.

Cheers - Phil