Arise Sir Tom

Started by pierre the shy, 18 July 2020, 07:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

This one did look a bit smaller than the one I'd seen before so suspect there's a few about. Gardens a bit of a meadow so no doubt all sorts of wildlife in there. We get pestered by mice in the winter. We suspect they get in through the neighbors but pop into ours for a visit. Traps usually sort them, though did come home to find the dog pleased as punch standing over a dead mouse one time, so that helps too.

Not too bothered by wildlife pottering about outside, so long as they don't come in and make a mess of the house!

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 20 July 2020, 04:54:30 PM
They use the plastic box traps all over the place - Elf and Safety  ;)

Just put one of the ones we already had, in the 'big barn'.....Baited with peanut butter.  :-&

Yet another thing to check on early in the morning.  =)

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

It does not really matter if its a .177 or a .22. The pellet from the same power .177 travels faster than the .22 so kinetic energy is similar. However the .22 hold more kinetic energy at longer ranges, also .22 makes a bigger hole.

When I used to shoot my air rifle a lot , they used to say .177 for feather .22 for fur. Cos  the flying rats need armour peircing .177 to get through the feather Armour.

We had rats at the bottom of the garden. I shot 4 ver the space of a week. Not seen any since.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Quote from: Orcs on 20 July 2020, 09:58:21 PM
When I used to shoot my air rifle a lot , they used to say .177 for feather .22 for fur. Cos  the flying rats need armour peircing .177 to get through the feather Armour.

Thanks, Mark....I'll try and remember that. The sharp pointy pellets  for the flying rats.....The 'dum-dums' for the rats, proper.

It's a shame.....I really don't enjoy killing things*...but it has to be done or we'd be over-run with the wretched things......And rats are really destructive little sods, having to chew on 'anything' to keep their incisors 'under control'......If they didn't breed so fast, then go around chewing at the electrics in the barns.
I mean...Why plastic cable ?.....Go and chew on a tree, you oiks.

Cheers - Phil

*The exception being sheep ticks.......They give me the creeps. Find one of those on the dogs every couple of years.

Orcs

My take on shooting things is that they have to be,  a pest or edible, preferably both.

If it fits this criteria, I don't have a problem shooting them.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

Quote from: Orcs on 21 July 2020, 08:36:36 AM
My take on shooting things is that they have to be,  a pest or edible, preferably both.

Hmmm....covers some neighbours I've had.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: FierceKitty on 21 July 2020, 09:36:15 AM

Well if you insist on living next door to hefalumps and tiggers
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: Orcs on 21 July 2020, 08:36:36 AM

Quote from: FierceKitty on 21 July 2020, 09:36:15 AM

Quite agree FK, I am sure if were allowed to dispose of neighbours that fitted the criteria mentioned the world would be a better place.

We have a traveller site about half a mile away , and the residents are always causing issues. We can see them from our upstairs back windows.  I have often wished for a 4" mortar and a dozen rounds. It would solve the problem permanently and the cost would be easily covered by saving to the police force in 6 months  :d :d