Started by pierre the shy, 18 July 2020, 07:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: FierceKitty on 19 July 2020, 09:38:43 AM
Well, what about Phil? By now he's sort of given his life about six times over for all of us!

Yep One cut at a time  ;D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Oi !!!

Three days without drawing blood !
(When you're hot, you're hot  ;))

Cheers - Cat.

Orcs

A Well deserved Knighthood to Sir Tom.  As so many have said, at least he deserved it
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote from: Techno on 20 July 2020, 12:33:09 PM
Oi !!!
Three days without drawing blood !
Cheers - Cat.

WE DONT BELIVE YOU  =O

Techno

Absolutely true !! :D

AND......I haven't broken any fingers playing with the old 'snap type' rat traps, this afto'.....Yet.
These things make me very nervous, 'cos they're somewhat corroded.

....going to pop into the village and get some new ones.

The joys of owning chickens =)......Such messy eaters, they just encourage their little furry friends round to supper each evening......Gits !

Cheers - Phil

flamingpig0

Quote from: Orcs on 20 July 2020, 12:38:12 PM
A Well deserved Knighthood to Sir Tom.  As so many have said, at least he deserved it

Very much so -
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Techno on 20 July 2020, 02:57:50 PM

The joys of owning chickens =)......Such messy eaters, they just encourage their little furry friends round to supper each evening......Gits !

I recently had rats in my back garden and under my wargames hut.

I sealed off the under-hut with wire mesh and sand and cement and slabs and then picked off the vermin with industrial strength rat poison in otherwise friendly rat traps.

Problem solved.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Techno

Can't really use poison with all the other animals around, Jim. :(

Even the bait trap boxes would be a bit of a no-no, as the rats could come out and die where one of the dogs would go and eat them.
There used to be a poison recommended by the Owl trust, called Eradibait......Only effects rodents and absolutely nothing else.
Can't get that anymore, sadly.

Cheers - Phil

Probs an organo-phospahte.

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 20 July 2020, 03:49:02 PM
Probs an organo-phospahte.

Don't think so, Ian. :-\

It 'apparently' affected only rodents by stopping their 'gut' from absorbing water....So they basically died from dehydration, and supposedly went back to their nest and 'mummified'.
It DID work !
There was one day I saw a ratty family (or two), lined up scoffing the food that our old chickens had spread around......I counted 15 of the little darlings....This was about 10 (?) years ago when everybody in our little valley wanted to call in the Pied Piper. X_X

Put a load of Eradibait down in the pole barn........After two days they'd all gone....HUZZAH ! :)

Cheers - Phil

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Techno on 20 July 2020, 03:07:35 PM

Even the bait trap boxes would be a bit of a no-no, as the rats could come out and die where one of the dogs would go and eat them.

OK, big plastic (dogproof) box with rat sized entry holes, bait and rat sized physical trap. Put a couple of bricks on top to keep it in place.

Failing that get a .22 (licenced).
My Ego forbids a signature.

mmcv

Have seen a rat at the bird food a few times, disappears pretty quickly when the dog shoots out the door growling mind you. I suppose rats have to eat too.

Techno

I've got a 'pop gun*', Jim.

Trouble is the dogs get over excited if they see me with the 'shooty-bang-stick' and want to join in....Idiots !

I think I've just sorted out exactly what you've suggested  :)......Rat 'boxes'....WITHOUT poison....But with enough space to put a snap trap in.
(Got the new ones, now. :))

Matthew.....That's one of the only problems in putting out food for wild birds.....They chuck the food about too, and the ratties are only trying to survive, and will take the easiest option if there's some sort of food source.

If you see ONE rat....You've got quite a few more not too far away...Trust me. :)

What do they say ?...."You're only ever about 10 feet away from a rat."
At least I know where most of the ones around here are, cos they're after the bird or chicken food.

Cheers - Phil.

*It's only a .177....But I used to be able to drill a mouse sized rat between the eyes from 15-20 yards......Bet I couldn't do that now. :'( :'( :'(

They use the palstic box traps all over the place - Elf and Saftey  ;)