How annoying can it get

Started by Orcs, 16 July 2020, 09:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

So at the beginning of this year having had 2 years off from decorating, we decided to re-do our bedroom . We had coped with paper thin carpet very creaky floorboards, 1970's fitted wardrobes and extr broom handle hanging space for 7 years.

We had save up,discussed what we wanted ( and I agreed ;)).  So just after Christmas this Year I stated the project.  We crammed into  the spare bedroom using a cardboard wardrobe from when we moved. on 2nd week of January.

I booked the electrician, ordered the fitted furniture.and arranged forsomeone to paper the cracked ceiling . I then worked hard making good , sorting out the floor that creaked like a haunted house and painted the room .  It was already for the furniture fitters to by the  2nd week in march and they were due to come in three weeks.

We all know what happened then ......... the room was left decorated but empty, withbare  floorboards

Four months later, in a military style operation I managed to get the fitters in , got the electrician to complete his half done work two days after the fitters , The carpet was ordered the next day and due to be fitted the day before the new bed (ordered 7 month previously) arrived.

I then painted the caulk round the edges of the newly fitted furniture to match. the room was just waiting the carpet and the bed.

Disaster... the carpet company called t say it the supplier said  it would take a month to be delivered  as they had only just started making them again..  AARRRGGGHHHH where were we going to put the huge bed? 

Last week the Carpet shop called up.  He said "You know we placed your carpet on order and was told delivery on 27th July?, well somehow its just been delivered. Can we book you it.  So the carpet was fitted yesterday.

The bed arrived today. One of the boxes said "Fitting kit and instructions enclosed".  I opened the box ,and the fitting kit was there but no Fr*gg*ng instructions .

So after all the flipping workmen went out their way to help us get the room done ASAP after lockdown, we are stalled by the lack of a set of instructions.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

sultanbev

Can you find them online? Many these days come as pdfs

Mark

fred.

That has been a saga and a half!!

Most beds aren't that complex to put together (the only really tricky one I have made was an Ikea one with a kind of sprung set of slats that needed to go together in a particular order). Most of the rest have been pretty obvious.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Matt J

Multiply that to an entire house then you'll be where I am. I do most work myself but lack of building materials particularly plaster has left us living with bare concrete floors and half finished ceilings and walls since Feb.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

mmcv

Argh, frustrating! It's always the little things after all the big ones that get you.

We still have a hole in our kitchen ceiling from where we had a leak and the plumber was able to cut the hole but the plasterer couldn't come to fix it... Frustrating thing was the ceiling had just been freshly painted a few weeks before. Not to mention the tiling that needs done in the kitchen still and the skirting and painting needing done in the bedrooms. All so we can hopefully sell the place to find somewhere bigger with a usable garden so it can all start over again...

Orcs

Quote from: sultanbev on 16 July 2020, 09:25:33 PM
Can you find them online? Many these days come as pdfs

Mark

Yes I have found two sets from the actual manufacturer - Neither is quite right .

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Phone them in the morning, they should be able to email you a copy.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

I've got all of this to look forward to in the new place...!  I was dragged up to Ikea today (for anyone thinking of it, don't.  Like most shops now, there's no distancing going on, people aren't paying any attention to their personal 'bubble' at all and it's far too stressful) but we managed to get a few bits that we need for the house.  We made notes for anything else we'll need once we're in so we can get those delivered instead.  I've got a fair sized list of jobs I'd like to tackle before Christmas so we'll see how I get on.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Quote from: Orcs on 16 July 2020, 11:16:48 PM
Yes I have found two sets from the actual manufacturer - Neither is quite right .

I thought that was perfectly normal with instructions. :-\

Seriously, though....Hope you can get it sorted 'toot sweet', Mark.....I think Will's idea is a 'goodie'.

Quote from: Leon on 17 July 2020, 01:10:04 AM
Like most shops now, there's no distancing going on, people aren't paying any attention to their personal 'bubble' at all and it's far too stressful)

Still not been in a shop that wasn't open during 'lockdown'...apart from the opticians....(and that was a 'one person in the shop, at a time, job.)....But I can imagine what it's like. :(

Tesco's have done away with the one-way route around the store.....Which is something of a relief, if you suddenly realise you've missed something in a previous isle. (Especially doing a shop for the more elderly neighbours across the road, at the same time as our 'bun run'.
At least, in Tesco's, folk are still holding onto a 'bubble' of space.

Cheers - Phil

Raider4

Quote from: Leon on 17 July 2020, 01:10:04 AM
I was dragged up to Ikea today (for anyone thinking of it, don't.)

IKEA was already a personal hell of mine before the current situation. Hateful, hateful place.

Having said that, I still go because a) it's close - 5 minute drive for me, b) It's undeniably cheap, and c) I do like quite a lot of their stuff.

Got to know the shortcuts* though!

* Which weren't there when it first went up. You followed a rigid path through the store and that was it.

Orcs

Quote from: mad lemmey on 16 July 2020, 11:33:00 PM
Phone them in the morning, they should be able to email you a copy.

Tried that, due to Covid they only have a skeleton staff and you have to request a callback - this can take three days!!!!!!!

I have also sent an email.

We purposely went to a well established recommended  family firm to get good service .....

sean66

I feel your pain.
mine is just as annoying.
I had a builder ready to work on my house. then Covid !!!
now its starting to relax builder isn't available !!!!
all this while working away in Germany. with my ex demanding I sell the house to fund her new lifestyle. !!!!!!
regards
Sean

Orcs

So after not finding the assembly instructions in the box that has the label "Bed Slats, assembly kit and instructions ", being told by the shop website thy would call back in the next three working days I decided to use the "almost right" instruction I had found on the internet

I then unwrapped the rest of the bed- Attatched to the rear of the headboard was a set of the "almost right" instructions.  >:( >:( >:(

Why did they not put them in the correct place or label the headboard that they were there.  >:( >:( >:(

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

You mean you read instructions ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

sunjester

Quote from: ianrs54 on 17 July 2020, 01:15:16 PM
You mean you read instructions ?
I can't think why, he never reads the scenario or his orders in games!