Extra ACW Standard Bearers

Started by Westmarcher, 16 July 2020, 09:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

A separate ACW standard bearer pack would be useful. I understand that Confederate infantry regiments usually had only one standard but every Union foot regiment had two. The Confederate Command packs with equal numbers of officers, musicians and standard bearers are therefore adequate but the existing Union Command packs are clearly short of standard bearers.

A generic pack with kepi or forage cap would therefore be very useful.

For this purpose, I suggest that the standard bearer pose in Confederate Command pack in ACW 16 would be ideal because this is an existing sculpt that would require little amendment and would be suitable for matching with all of the other foot poses (i.e., advancing, marching and, even, standing firing poses).

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

monkeynut

In my experience with the team at Pendraken when I need only one figure  or 3,4,5 figures from a certain pack  to complete units Leon is  always very accommodating in providing exactly what you require for a minimal cost ie 20p for a foot figure / 40p for mounted figure ( l hope this is still correct ) and has always provided me ,without any hassle my exacting demands. A quality service rare within our hobby and personally very much appreciated!
So if you require 10 union standard bearers it'll cost you £2.00 but you get exactly what you want plus you get to pick and choose your poses.
Thanks again Leon for a great service! 😁

🐵

Orcs

16 July 2020, 11:17:46 PM #2 Last Edit: 16 July 2020, 11:21:34 PM by Orcs
I regularly buy extra Marlburian standard bearers for the same reason.   Ordered 15 standard bearers in last order, or was it the one before that?

Never any problems, and its less than a penny more per figure.(I would be happy if this went up somewhat)  I think the last couple of price rises have missed these

Also do it with cavalry comand. OUr units are 12 figures strong, so if you order 3 packs plus 1 extra each of Standard Officer and Musician you get four units
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

As the guys have said, if there's any extra figures you need just give us a shout and we'll do them as a custom job.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Westmarcher

Thanks. To all new and recent Pendraken customers, I heartily reinforce what has been said above (i.e., that Dave and Leon have always been very accommodating in that respect). My SYW collection (of some 10-15 years old now? Is it really that old?) is dotted with loads of extra officers, musicians and standard bearers thanks to Pendraken's famous flexibility and 'can do' attitude.

Confession time, however.  :-[    Apart from addressing the shortage of Union standard bearers, I really do not like the existing 'advancing' Union standard bearer pose (the figure looks as if it's just tripped) plus both Union 'advancing' pose and 'standing' pose standing bearers are not suitable for matching with the 'marching' pose. So I was hoping, just hoping, that it was possible to kill two birds with one stone by varying an existing figure and making it available separately. Oh, well, looks like I'm on to plums. 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

John Cook

I agree entirely with all points - positive and otherwise.

monkeynut

I apologise in advance Westmarcher ,but have you tried using "proxy" figures from other ranges ie FPW11, FPW23,FPW26 ,etc with a little conversion/ paint job could stand in at a push ? They might be a  more compatible  pose to fit with your marching troops.Depends on how much accuracy you require and if they look right for you. Personally I do this all the time, mix and match figures from various ranges to add a little more variety especially for  my command bases.
Kind regards

🐵

Westmarcher

Some interesting ideas there, monkeynut (but are the flags moulded on?). Don't know why I didn't think of that (was scouring other manufacturers' catalogues) - after all, we used to use the figs from the French Foreign Legion and High Chaparral boxes in our Airfix ACW wargaming days (my opponent even had some WW1 Germans - "military observers" and some WW2 Japanese - officer with sword, kneeling riflemen painted as dismounted cavalry and possibly a bugler?).

Also interesting to see "FPW31 - Standard bearer, pole only (10)." Not suitable as a multi-purpose pose because this figure is in a standing position but clearly some "gap" appears to have been identified in the FPW range by some influential person to go to the lengths of making this option available.  ;)

Leon

Quote from: Westmarcher on 17 July 2020, 04:53:55 PM
Also interesting to see "FPW31 - Standard bearer, pole only (10)." Not suitable as a multi-purpose pose because this figure is in a standing position but clearly some "gap" appears to have been identified in the FPW range by some influential person to go to the lengths of making this option available.  ;)

That one (and his PPW equivalent) was done to give a pole-only standard bearer versus the cast-on flag in the regular command pack.  These days we wouldn't have anything sculpted with the flag on it to avoid having to get more sculpts and moulds done.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!