1/3000th Italian

Started by pierre the shy, 14 July 2020, 09:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Reduced my led pile a little further by starting work on some long held 1/3000 Navwar Italian ships, some of which are needed for a scenario this coming weekend.....nothing like upcoming game requirements to get a bit of motivation going  :)
Cleaned up 10 destroyers, 10 cruisers, 4 battleships and 1 carrier (the Aquila which was never fully completed).

Carefully drilled out 1mm holes for extra masts on the cruisers and battleships using me rotary drill (without any bloodletting or broken drill bits  ;) )

Prepared bases (couldn't fit the complete name "Luigi Di Savoia Duca degli Abruzzi" on the base so just called her "Abruzzi" in the end.

Next challenge is to figure out how to evenly paint the diagonal red/white aerial ID stripes on the foredeck of each ship.....paint deck white first then dip an old marker pen in red paint to make 2 lines which can then be painted between?   
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Looking forward to seeing these on Saturday :!! ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I've just done it with white background and a horizontal 00 brush.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

GTHe worst thing on WW2 Italians is those deck stripes. (I know that is stateing the blindingly obvious) Anyone know why they did it, must have attracted a wondering torpedeo armed Wimpy, Beaufort or later Beaufighter ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Because they had a tendancy to attract their own air force without them!!!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

pierre the shy

Quote from: ianrs54 on 14 July 2020, 05:08:41 PM
GTHe worst thing on WW2 Italians is those deck stripes. (I know that is stateing the blindingly obvious) Anyone know why they did it, must have attracted a wondering torpedeo armed Wimpy, Beaufort or later Beaufighter ?

During the latter stages of the Battle of Calabria/Punta Stilo on 9 July 1940 the Italian fleet was attempting to withdraw and was in fairly close proximity to the British fleet when an Italian air raid of some 100+ aircraft arrived. In the confused situation some 50% of the planes attacked their own ships. Naturally the Regia Marina were not impressed and amongst other measures decided to paint the foredecks of their ships with red and white diagonal stripes.

Nice job on the models Lemmey 👍
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

toxicpixie

Quote from: pierre the shy on 15 July 2020, 03:49:01 AM
During the latter stages of the Battle of Calabria/Punta Stilo on 9 July 1940 the Italian fleet was attempting to withdraw and was in fairly close proximity to the British fleet when an Italian air raid of some 100+ aircraft arrived. In the confused situation some 50% of the planes attacked their own ships. Naturally the Regia Marina were not impressed and amongst other measures decided to paint the foredecks of their ships with red and white diagonal stripes.

Nice job on the models Lemmey 👍

Well at least they got stuck in, didn't go home with full loads :D

Nice work there Lemmy!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno

Looking good, Will. 8)

Cheers - Phil

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: ianrs54 on 14 July 2020, 05:08:41 PM

It's not about the combat effectiveness, it's about the looking good whilst steaming up and down the med!  8)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Italian ship yards got bonuses if the ship went faster than the design spec, so bits got left off. Course in any sort of weather British ships could steam rings round them. Better seakeeping

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: ianrs54 on 16 July 2020, 10:21:21 AM
Italian ship yards got bonuses if the ship went faster than the design spec, so bits got left off. Course in any sort of weather British ships could steam rings round them. Better seakeeping

And the heaviest thing when it comes to displacement savings is ... armour.

Never mind, we'll get some admiralty chap to rewrite the doctrine and assert that "Speed is armour".

Yeah, but can it outrun a fully-laden stringbag?

(Not while anchored).

steve_holmes_11

If that sounds disrespectful, it's not intended that way.

One of the best "what if" Naval settings is France Vs Italy in the Med (Assuming WW2 didn't break out).

Bismark couldna out run Stringbags, but her flak couldna hit cause they were too slow.