Test

Started by T13A, 10 July 2020, 03:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Great looking game Paul - but can I have my step ladders back ?

Quote from: Techno on 16 July 2020, 03:11:21 PM
Yes.....But do you know what really pees me off, John  ;)....And I do know I've gone on and on and on about this....Forbes (fred) gets far better bl**dy results from his phone than I do from my all singing, all dancing, digital Canon SLR.....(Piece of poo  ;)).....It can't even focus on 'infinity' properly.

I do have a Canon 450D DSLR with a few lenses - which may in total have cost a bit more than a newish iPhone (which is quite something to write). But I rarely use it - the only time I think I get better shots is when I want a lot of depth of field, and then I need to spend time with the whole tripod, light box, camera setup. Then get the photos on the computer, and do lots of cropping etc. So if this is all I used I'd never take photos.

The one thing I 'invested' in earlier this year was a £40 LED light, typically sold for video camera work, that really helps light up the photos of figures I take on my painting desk.

By using my phone, I take more photos - as they say the best camera is the one you have with you, and my phone is always in my pocket. Whereas the DSLR is in a nice camera bag upstairs in a corner...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

John Cook

Same here.  I have a battered old Olympus OM1 bought in 1974 which I dragged round the world with me for 25 years, together with lenses from 300mm to 21mm, which I doubt you could give away now.   I replaced it with an Olympus E620 DSLR in 2009 which takes that are, in my view, not as good as those taken with my OM1.  I can remember when people argued that 35mm was for amateurs, that 'proper' photographers wouldn't be seen dead with an SLR and a Rollei or Hasselblad were the only cameras worthy of the name. 
My Sony Cybershot, which must be at least 15 years old now, takes pics that are every bit as good as the Olympus E620, it is no bigger than a packet of fags (No, I gave up in the 1980s) so that is the one I use most of the time, unless I'm photographing motorsport, then the E620 is much more capable, and you can do a lot with Photoshop.  The camera on my iPhone 6 is, frankly, **** but I'm told the latest iterations of smart phones are better and the fact that Olympus have folded because "the digital camera market is no longer profitable" speaks volumes.     

fred.

Quote from: John Cook on 16 July 2020, 08:12:59 PM
Same here.  I have a battered old Olympus OM1 bought in 1974 which I dragged round the world with me for 25 years, together with lenses from 300mm to 21mm, which I doubt you could give away now. 

I sold an 1980s OM10 last year with various bits, and was surprised to get around £75 for it - I think the buyer was a camera shop, but to get to that price there must have been a few buyers interested in it. For something that was just taking up space I was quite pleased with that - I was expecting about £10
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts