Test

Started by T13A, 10 July 2020, 03:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

The chaps have moved me over to using Imgur, it works great on an iPhone. It's a bit counter intuitive to start with - as you don't care about all the memes and other stuff. But once you realise how to make a new post with it (even though you aren't posting anywhere) then it is a very quick and easy way to take a photo with your phone, do some basic editing, post it to Imgur, grab the link and post it on the forum. Yes its a few steps, but they are all quick and easy.

The only downside to Imgur is that you don't get a gallery of your photos like you do on the photo hosting sites, which I do find can be useful for browsing stuff at a late date.

I've found that depending on what device you are using for photos and for posting then different bits of software can be a lot easier to use than others.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

John Cook

Thanks for the help and advice.  I will persevere.  I have an iPhone but I don't keep photos on it and have only used it occasionally for photographs.  I'm one of those odd people who uses a phone for, essentially, telephone calls and a camera for taking photographs :-) 

fred.

Using a phone for phone calls  :o :o

Its all about finding a work flow that works for you, if you prefer a camera for taking photos, you have to have some process to get them off the camera - most likely by transferring the photos to a PC, either by USB cable or by swapping the SD card between devices - once you have done this then you probably upload them to a hosting site - and there are lots of these, its finding one that works for you, and most importantly gives you an easy link to copy into the forum.

For a long time I did the above and used Google Photos and it worked well. But more recently I have moved to taking all my photos (pretty much) with my iPhone as it just makes the whole process so much easier (and therefore I am more likely to take photos and post them). But this made me change from Google photos as it was just hard work to get a link when posting from my phone. Along with the random issues with photos not always being visible - which seemed to depend on which link you copied, without it ever being quite clear why some worked and some didn't.

Bottom line is that there are a lot of ways of getting photos onto the forum, and different ones work better for how each of us is setup and how we expect the process to work.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

Quote from: fred. on 15 July 2020, 05:59:54 PM

The only downside to Imgur is that you don't get a gallery of your photos like you do on the photo hosting sites, which I do find can be useful for browsing stuff at a late date.

You can access a gallery view of all images on the web version of it. Don't think you can do it in the app (I can't find it) but if you access it from a bigger screen (or phone in "desktop mode") using the website and click on your name in the top right there'll be an "images" option you can see them all. Think you can upload images that way too, though I tend to just use the posts option from the app as it's easier.

That page actually let's you resize the images etc too, and I think copy it with the img tags already, though I rarely use it as the additional faff of switching between the phone and booting up the laptop isn't worth it most of the time.

You can view your old posts in the app though so that's usually enough for my needs.

Quote from: John Cook on 15 July 2020, 06:21:40 PM
Thanks for the help and advice.  I will persevere.  I have an iPhone but I don't keep photos on it and have only used it occasionally for photographs.  I'm one of those odd people who uses a phone for, essentially, telephone calls and a camera for taking photographs :-)  

If you've your photos on the computer and just looking to upload from there it's pretty handy, as I mentioned above there's an images page you can upload and resize from, then you just need to copy the image link (the one ending in .jpg or .png usually) and stick it in here and apply the img tags (highlight it and click the img button above the  :D ;D faces at the top of posting)

Then if you haven't resized it on the site you can resize it here by adding a height or width or both, e.g.

[img width=800]https://i.imgur.com/CVBnCWq.png[/img]
[img height=800]https://i.imgur.com/CVBnCWq.png[/img]

I usually just do height or width as it'll automatically set the other one and keep the aspect ratio so it doesn't look stretched or squished!

Hope that helps a bit!

John Cook

Thanks for all of these helpful replies.  I will keep playing with various options.  I find that photos taken on my iPhone 6 just don't cut the mustard.  My digital SLR is so much more versatile and produces much better imagery, though it is a bit of a lump.  Even my ten year old Sony compact takes better pics than the iPhone.  I've just bought a new Sony Cybershot with Wi-Fi functionality which I'm getting used to, and seems to the easy answer to linking to other devices, though I've never found downloading to my PC via a USB cable much of a challenge. 

Techno

I really need to sort an Imgur a/c out....one day/never

Like John, I use my camera for taking photos....and the phone for making 'emergency' calls to the AA....the only time it's ever been used !
My phone's so ancient it hasn't even GOT a camera. (I must sort the phone out, as well !......I think it's been 'cut off' because I haven't used it for so long.)

Cheers - Phil

T13A

Hi John

It looks as if I was in a similar position to you, I use a 'normal' camera to take photos of games/figures and store them on my PC. I simply wanted an easy way to get the images from my PC onto a post on the forum and Imgur seems to work for me, so far at least.

It took me about 2 minutes to post the above photo from my PC onto Imgur and then onto here.

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

Westmarcher

Nice looking ACW game, btw.  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

It certainly is !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Scolty

Lovely looking game!  I'm busy trying to reduce my ACW lead pile - will try and post some pics shortly.

Cheers!

mmcv

Great looking table!

John Cook

Good looking game and pic.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll have to persevere with Imgur.  I'm pleased somebody else still uses a proper camera.

Techno

Yes.....But do you know what really pees me off, John  ;)....And I do know I've gone on and on and on about this....Forbes (fred) gets far better bl**dy results from his phone than I do from my all singing, all dancing, digital Canon SLR.....(Piece of poo  ;)).....It can't even focus on 'infinity' properly.

It probably cost a lot more than a decent iPhone.....and it's only job is to take bloomin' pictures.

I DID like my old 35mm Pentax ME Super......and the amazing kit I used when I worked for the Evil Empire.
One of those lenses from that era, cost £800...and that was back in 1988/9  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Raider4

I miss* my old film SLR. I've never really "got" digital photography - it just doesn't seem the same somehow.

* Well, it's not missing, it's still in my cupboard. But it hasn't been used for years

Techno

Same here, Martyn.

The Pentax is still in its 'bag', with all the accessories.
I really loved that camera.....I could make it do "what I wanted".

I've never been bothered to learn how to use the digital Canon SLR really properly......It has the facility to do about ten times more than I'd ever need.
I DO have ,what I'd describe as, a compact digital (Pentax, again) camera, as well as the 'lumpy' Canon.

The little Pentax was/is great......(I really need to charge the battery, though.).......Not SO many features.....More than enough in the way of 'pixels'.....So Why do I need a billion times more pixels on the Canon......If it can't even focus on Infinity....or properly...it seems X_X

It appears that a camera on a lot of the new phones is WAY better than enough.

Cheers - Phil ;)