new AFVs that require only a new turret?

Started by Sunray, 08 July 2020, 10:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Yes, its a Monkeynut (forum speak for a request)-  Or even two !

1.  A new turret to create the FV4101 Charioteer on the Cromwell body.   This used the hull and a special turret mounting a 105mm (same as Centurion) to add a budget tank destroyer to BAOR via TA armoured regiments.  Also saw considerable action in Middle East,

2.  A new turret to create the NM-116 on the Chaffee hull. Gives the Norwegian forces a bit of extra punch.

With Pendraken Cold War and Middle East winds sweeping through Rumour Control, they are both desirable bits of kit on a low production budget.

Cast your votes gentlemen.

Sunray

I quoted the Charioteer as packing a 105mm gun.  The original model (1953) was armed with the then current 20 pounder .  Later up gunning to the 105 was probably a Jordanian innovation.  Certainly the tanks encountered by UN forces in Lebanon had the latter.   

pierre the shy

Finnish and Austrian armies also used Charioteer's for many years, the latter mainly used only the turrets as part of their fixed defences after the mid 60's, though often upgraded them to 105mm:

http://www.bunkermuseum.at/wehrtechnik_praesentation.php

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Mako

NM135 for the Swedes, to be added to the top of the M113 APC.

pierre the shy

Quote from: Mako on 19 March 2022, 04:20:02 PMNM135 for the Swedes, to be added to the top of the M113 APC.

Would make a useful addition indeed, but I think you mean for the Norwegian Army Mako? NM = Norwegian Modified.

Swedes had their own cold war APC - the Pbv 302.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Mako

Yea, meant Norwegians, not Swedes. 

Must have the latter on the brain too.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Roy

I field FV4101 Charioteers in a larger scale, so would recommend the hull mg being removed (take a scalpel blade to the hull? and a file, to model the metal plate capping) and add a 4th crew man model on the outside of the turret, or by the track sides, so he can shout shot corrections to the tank commander, who can't see what he's shooting at after firing off a round.

I'd buy at least one Pendraken Charioteer model. Definitely.

Vote +1
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}