A question about Two Fat Lardies,Peter Pig and TMP

Started by Orcs, 07 July 2020, 10:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Yes I know this sounds like the start of a wargaming joke.

I have just been on TMP for the first time in a few months, and their seems to be some form of feud going on between TMP and Two Fat Lardies that has embroiled Martin Goddard of Peter Pig.  All sorts of accusations are going on. Some of them quite unpleasant.

I have known Martin Goddard for many years and found him to be a very pleasant chap, Likewise I have met Richard from TFL a couple of times and again no issue with him. While I know TMP can be a little eccentric it seems to have blown out of all proportion.

The comments do not make things clear as to what is actually the problem - does anyone on here have any idea?

Please can we avoid taking sides or  being political. I am just interested in what happened , as it sounds quite serious

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

jimduncanuk

My Ego forbids a signature.

Leon

It's all got quite nasty unfortunately, with a lot of people stuck in the middle.  Basically:

- Someone posted on TMP about the new TFL Infamy rules.
- Bill took down the post as it breaches their 'No adverts' policy.
- Other TFL fans made posts about the rules, some I think just to antagonise Bill at TMP.
- Bill deleted all of the posts and might have banned a few people?
- Rich Clarke went on TMP to ask why the posts were being deleted.  Bill explained the policy and asked Rich to stop 'idiots' from posting more threads about Infamy.
- Rich then said that TMP is toxic and bullying, and not a good advertisement for our hobby.
- Rich then went on his social media and suggested that TFL fans contact companies who advertise on TMP, to ask them whether they should be supporting a site like that.
- This resulted in a lot of comments on the TFL Facebook page, including some homophobic and transphobic stuff.
- TMP then responded by calling TFL bigots and bullies themselves.  They contacted advertisers and asked them to come and stand against the 'bigotry' of TFL.
- Peter Pig posted on TMP that he was receiving emails about his advertiser status and could everyone 'please stop'.
- This has now been followed by a series of new posts/threads on both sides explaining why they are right and the other side is wrong.

There's essentially two lines drawn in the sand now, with a massive chunk of middle ground that no one is allowed to stand in.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Thanks for the explanation Leon.

It seems all very unfortunate.

I am sure I have seen you and other manufacturers announcing new ranges and sales Etc.

Jims comment is probably the best idea, but its a huge shame in a relatively small community this goes on.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

It does all feel a little "Judean People's Front. We're the People's Front of Judea! Judean People's Front. Cawk."
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Last Hussar

I understood (as in that's what I have heard) the top half of what Leon said.

Basically Bill went "No advertising by posting if you don't pay for advertising.

Which is odd, because this basically happens all the time on TMP - people say "We've got new rules coming out".

TMP mob basically started baying that Bill was right, ignoring the fact it happens all the time. I believe said members of that particular mob were all born between the Atlantic and the Pacific and between Canada and Mexico, and include the sort of people who wouldn't play "I ain't been shot mum" because the name is silly.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Paper

I was wondering what that was all about myself as I couldn't make heads or tails of it from the outside.

I was honestly expecting something more then that.
It makes both of them look unprofessional.
Happy I don't need to pick a side

flamingpig0

Quote from: Last Hussar on 08 July 2020, 01:25:08 AM

TMP mob basically started baying that Bill was right, ignoring the fact it happens all the time. I believe said members of that particular mob were all born between the Atlantic and the Pacific and between Canada and Mexico, and include the sort of people who wouldn't play "I ain't been shot mum" because the name is silly.

It sounds a bit like a  'not built here' issue which is how  the US military ended up with the M14
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

bigjackmac

08 July 2020, 04:13:12 AM #8 Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 04:22:31 AM by bigjackmac
Kudos to Leon, I thought he gave an accurate, measured, balanced account of the nonsense that transpired between TFL and TMP and how it's not useful to the hobby.

Speaking of useless nonsense...

"I believe said members of that particular mob were all born between the Atlantic and the Pacific and between Canada and Mexico, and include the sort of people who wouldn't play "I ain't been shot mum" because the name is silly."
I am extraordinarily resentful of the fact you're stirring up their bullshit here.

V/R,
Jack

FierceKitty

Second the remarks of the previous speaker. We really do have a common interest, folks, even Ian and Phil.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Norm

Agree, it never helps to bring crap from another forum here or to other places I like, it just gives another opportunity for a re-stir!

pierre the shy

I wondered how long this would take to show up on this forum.

Like previous posters I sort of wondered WTF?!? when I saw a bit of it elsewhere on the internet.

Seems like its handbags at 5 paces, with neither side coming out with any credit whatsoever.

I could say lots of things but I'm just going to agree with Jim and Jack that all involved should grow up and move on.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Steve J

Just bizarre really and I do wonder why people still go on TMP. Thanks God for this forum!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

That explains a lot of posts on the TFL group  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 July 2020, 04:57:31 AM
We really do have a common interest, folks, even Ian and Phil.

You take that back !!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I've not been on TMP for years......Maybe had the odd quick gander when someone's posted a link.
I'd have to have a wild guess as to what my password is, now.

It's sadly, the sort of behaviour that puts folk off 'joining in'.

Before I join our esteemed forum, one of my old colleagues from GW (Kev Adams) would often send me links to 'spats' and really bitchy comments on various war-gaming forums*.....He hates that sort of thing !

When I started making soldiers for Leon, he mentioned that Pendraken had their own forum, and maybe I'd like to join ?
I wasn't going to, because of the 'negative waves' I associated with discussion groups.

Glad I changed my mind. ;)

That's this forum's definite advantage.....It's encouraging....and friendly.....(We'll leave out the lunacy, for now. ;))
Folk that ask questions, never get asked....."Why did you ask that ?.....Are you so stupid, you don't know that ?" X_X

Cheers - Phil   ;)