Fourth of July

Started by paulr, 07 July 2020, 08:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Excellent, Paul !

Cheers - Phil :)

mmcv

Good game.

How do you find fighting the AWI? It has some great characters and fun possibilities in it but I've read some say the tactics can be a bit slow and stagnant. I'm guessing rules geared more specifically towards it work better than general purpose ones.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Quote from: mmcv on 14 July 2020, 02:13:25 PM
Good game.

How do you find fighting the AWI? It has some great characters and fun possibilities in it but I've read some say the tactics can be a bit slow and stagnant. I'm guessing rules geared more specifically towards it work better than general purpose ones.

We use Volley & Bayonet at the Wing scale (2-4 stands to a battalion) and it always gives a really good game. The wide variety of troop quality and different drill means there are a lot of tactical decisions to make even with a mainly infantry force.

If the tactics are 'a bit slow and stagnant' I suspect that is either rules and/or scenarios, the majority of actual battles in the period have plenty of maneuver and often quite dramatic outcomes.
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Quote from: paulr on 14 July 2020, 08:31:54 PM
We use Volley & Bayonet at the Wing scale (2-4 stands to a battalion) and it always gives a really good game. The wide variety of troop quality and different drill means there are a lot of tactical decisions to make even with a mainly infantry force.

If the tactics are 'a bit slow and stagnant' I suspect that is either rules and/or scenarios, the majority of actual battles in the period have plenty of maneuver and often quite dramatic outcomes.

Thanks, yes I suspect so. It's one that's on my long term todo list for sure. Will have to check out V&B when I get into the period.

hammurabi70

Quote from: paulr on 14 July 2020, 08:31:54 PM

How does the Command system work in the rules?  If it is 2-4 stands to a battalion what is the next level up in terms of Brigade, Division or Corps?

pierre the shy

Each unit has a unit command stand, then the next level up is brigade commander (such as Lt  Col Dundas in our last game) then wing commander such as Brig Gen Arnold. Each brigade has a break point equal to the total number of hits the units under command. So Dandas had a break point of 17.....once exceeded a brigade can either become enfebled or collapse entirely... which is not good 🙁.

I find v and b gives very lively games due to  different unit makeups and large movement distances in wing scale. Don't always do well but they are always exciting games to play in 👍🙂
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.