Sandy (WW2 tank hunter types)
1 (5.9%)
Other (please specify)
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: 14 July 2020, 05:18:55 PM

OldenBUA

07 July 2020, 05:18:55 PM Last Edit: 07 July 2020, 05:22:07 PM by OldenBUA
From my personal observation, it has long been established that there are two camps when it comes to painting elephants. The Browns and the Greys. Even a trip to the local zoo by my fellow wargamers never decided the issue over here.

As evidenced by the recent post on his Siamese army, Mad Lemmy is obviously in the Brown camp, but well, he's mad you see?

So, which camp do you belong to?
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Ithoriel

Grey as a mouse, Big as a house
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Voted for 3, except that the elefants at Kursk were plain dark yellow  :D ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

Quote from: ianrs54 on 07 July 2020, 05:23:59 PM
Voted for 3, except that the elefants at Kursk were plain dark yellow  :D ;)

And they were still Ferdinands, weren't they?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My roman elephants are grey, so no.
It depends where they are from.
Elephants are pink, they are just dyed by the colour of the mud they roll in to keep bugs off.

I researched Thai elephants, and used photos from Thai elephant sanctuaries, plus our honeymoon photos of Sri Lankan nellies, so I went for a brown/grey base coat, some very dark grey, with flesh highlights and toes.

Except the royal 'White Elephant which are pinker, but not albino.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

Quote from: mad lemmey on 07 July 2020, 06:21:43 PM
Elephants are pink . . .

Only towards the end of the evening!

Orcs

I do not have any Elephant armies that I have painted. I do own some 6mm Elephants in an Indian army and a Ferdinand on my 20mm ww2.

I have a Revel acrylic  colour called Mouse Grey No 47 and It does seem to have a brownish tinge to it. Ironically given the Elephants reputed dislike of mice I would probably use this colour 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

OldenBUA

OK, that's what you get for just going by memory. Fixed the ww2 reference for you all.

As to 'mad' Lemmey's extensive answer: I meant no offence by my remarks, and your rendition certainly does them justice. It's just that I remembered the (sometimes heated) discussions on the subject from all those years ago. For the record, in the DBM days, I had Ghaznavids and Seleucids, both with elephants. And also Swiss, with a single one. You know, bred from the ones abandoned during Hannibal's foray in the Alps. Well, that's my story anyway and I stick to that.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

steve_holmes_11

Grey - darken than you imagine, with characteristic fade to pink and "freckles" on lower ears and upper trunk.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: OldenBUA on 07 July 2020, 08:32:27 PM
OK, that's what you get for just going by memory. Fixed the ww2 reference for you all.

As to 'mad' Lemmey's extensive answer: I meant no offence by my remarks, and your rendition certainly does them justice. It's just that I remembered the (sometimes heated) discussions on the subject from all those years ago. For the record, in the DBM days, I had Ghaznavids and Seleucids, both with elephants. And also Swiss, with a single one. You know, bred from the ones abandoned during Hannibal's foray in the Alps. Well, that's my story anyway and I stick to that.

There was this film, with Oliver Reed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal_Brooks

Quote from: Raider4 on 07 July 2020, 05:55:59 PM
And they were still Ferdinands, weren't they?

Both I think  :-/
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

paulr

Greyish Brown ;)

Pierre the Shy and I know the Military Historian for Sir Peter Jackson's They Shall Not Grow Old he was given a t-shirt by the colourists working on the film

Brownish Green
Greenish Brown

His two most common answers when asked what colour anything should be, this was usually followed by a long discussion on the actual colour
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 07 July 2020, 10:34:22 PM
Grey - darken than you imagine, with characteristic fade to pink and "freckles" on lower ears and upper trunk.

Wild elephants appear brown because they wallow in mud and cover themselves in dirt to protect their skin.

Raider4

Quote from: ianrs54 on 08 July 2020, 07:16:02 AM
Both I think  :-/

My understanding is the 40-odd survivors of Kursk were upgraded with a cupola and a bow machine gun, and were then renamed as Elefant.

O Dinas Powys

Depends on the species!

Asiatic elephants do this:
Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 07 July 2020, 10:34:22 PM

Neither species of African elephants do!

Mammoth are orange-brown and hairy  ;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )