Napoleonic naval

Started by FierceKitty, 01 April 2024, 11:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Has anyone played Manley's Far Distant Ships?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Last Hussar

No, but do you have a link? Trying to find a naval set I like, I have 3. Best I've found for more than 2-3 ships a side is the Osprey ones.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

steve_holmes_11

I've not played these.

My experience of the author's more recent work is positive.
He's able to capture the essentials of fleet action with fairly simple rules.
He also incorporates the human factors that are often neglected in naval games.

Probably not for the rivet (nail or poundage) counter who'll insist on +1 for two chaser carronades.

I really liked this part of the description.

" Signalling is key, and complex plans may fall apart if a vital signal is missed, or an order executed late. The rules cover the main ship types involved across the period, focussing on ships of the line and rated frigates, in articular in their role as signal repeaters."

FierceKitty

Yes, that sounds good. But I tend to be chary of products if I don't get an independent assessment; there are many rule sets out there that "concentrate on the authentic command aspect of a battle" according to the blurb. Heck, WRG 7th claimed as much.

Last Hussar

I looked at the two reviews,  and they said that 'good idea, not fully worked out.'

One said seemed to lack play testing.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

tony of TTT

I'd agree with the comment that they are not 'fully worked out', I'd probably go further and say 'not worked out at all'. Too many missing bits & explanations of the obvious with no explanation of the complicated bits.

The ideas are mostly good but too much attention has been given to the rarest events and too little to stuff that happens every turn. There is a decent game in there somewhere but sadly not as it is currently written.

streetgang

I own but haven't played Far Distant Ships. I have played David's quick play Renaissance galley ruleset Cannons Crosses and Crescents (or something like that). They are very nice rules that "feel right" for the period. Here is a post on that set: https://lecoqfou.blogspot.com/2021/09/cannon-cross-and-crescent-play-test.html?m=1

If you are looking for quick play age of sail rulesets that can handle large fleet actions, there is home-brew set called Form on the Admiral's Wake. It's modified from one of the boardgame sets. Very popular at HMGS conventions on this side of the ocean. Each ship has a profile where you keep track of damage and such. Gameplay is dictated by a deck of cards randomly drawn that determine what action is played (e.g. French guns reload). The author charges about $10 for them on a disc but I'm sure the files can be sent electronically. The rules are just a few pages but include the cards, tons of scenarios and all the ship profiles.

If you do an online search you can probably track down battle reports, reviews and the authors contact information. You can also send me a private message and I will provide the email. Here are some of my ships for the rules: https://lecoqfou.blogspot.com/2021/03/13000-age-of-sail-form-on-admirals-wake.html?m=1

2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2021 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I'll see how things go. I'm presently trying to do a DBA myself, though real SOL fans will certainly scream with indignation at some of the short cuts involved.

FierceKitty

Anyone care to proofread and comment on the second edition of Rum, Buggery, and the Lash?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Send it along - I'll take a look...
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

What's your email, Ian? The document is full of pictures, and too big to attach here.

FierceKitty

Here's one without the pictures. Don't worry about the lists at the end - they're for the previous edition.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 April 2024, 12:14:56 PMWhat's your email, Ian? The document is full of pictures, and too big to attach here.

I'll hit you PM tomorrow.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021