Basing miniatures

Started by Adamwest, 28 June 2020, 12:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamwest

Hello all
So i glued my carthaginians down and to my horror my miniatures had 'frosted' from the glue! Its gorilla glue. Is pva glue adequate to glue miniatures to the mdf bases?

Last Hussar

I use superglue, just a spot.

I also pva the base, superglue on the figure base, then flock while pva still wet.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

rct75001

I only use PVA now all the way from 6mm, 10mm (of course) through to 28mm

Have not had a problem.

Richard
And she said "You haven't bought more of those little men have you?"

https://rctlittlesoldiers.blogspot.com.au

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Dot of supergule or UHU hold mine, UHU is more comon, but it does depend on the material, both base and figure,
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

UHU or anything of that ilk works for me. Currently using "Hyper Tough" which I think I got in Home Bargain.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

I get all my glues in Pound Land
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

I've started using epoxy resin.
No problems with the little fellows dropping off.

It's also a handy blocker against falling into the insanity of rebasing.

FierceKitty

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 28 June 2020, 10:32:28 AM

Messy and pricy, but it works.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 28 June 2020, 10:32:28 AM

You say that but having dug a number of figures out of milliput recently I'm not so sure...

You do have to be careful with superglue as it can frost but a small dab under the model is usually all it needs and any frosting out the sides can be covered in flock easily enough.

I have been moving to more PVA based basing after advice from others in the forum (fred in particular) mixing paint and PVA and smothering the bases and adding the figures to that then sprinkling on sand. It does result in better coverage, a firm hold and less PVA stuck to the figures than super glue then trying to PVA around them. It does however take much much longer to dry and can be a little fiddly to position without knocking over so tweezers are recommended!

jimduncanuk

Superglue, in all its forms is the WRONG type of adhesive to use on figures. It does not like close contact with paint, both acrylic and enamel.

Use a contact adhesive as it is much friendlier and will cause less problems.

PVA is OK if it is of good quality and your bases are neatly filed flat.
My Ego forbids a signature.

DaveH

I've pretty much always used PVA as it is strong enough, cheap and if I do need to rebase is possible to release without damaging figures.

I also have started to use PVA and sand to build up the bases round the figure bases.

Westmarcher

For what it's worth, mainly UHU especially with figures with larger bases. Unlike Superglue, UHU doesn't set immediately so it gives you more time to slide the figure around until you get it into the right position and facing. I also use Superglue but only for figures with tiny bases and for the likes of artillery or wagon wheels where the contact point between the wheel and mdf base is minimal and so a stronger grip is required. I also texture the remainder of mdf base with Milliput primarily because I don't like to see the figure's own base standing proud of the mdf base but also to give some extra support and build up the 'ground level' so that the bottom of the artillery or wagon wheel is raised to the same level as the soles of your figures' feet. Thereafter, I more or less follow the method set down in the Baccus 6mm basing system with sand/grit and static grass.   
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

John Cook

I use, mainly, plastic bases and superglue.  Make sure the underside of the figure is flat and use just a drop of glue.  I squeeze out a small amount onto a ceramic mixing palette (a white tile left over from when we refurbished the bathroom!) and dispense it with a toothpick.  PVA works fine on MDF bases.  Same procedure.  Not sure if PVA works as well on plastic.

Last Hussar

mmcv appears to do what I do, except I use flock.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

mmcv

Quote from: Last Hussar on 28 June 2020, 01:48:57 PM
mmcv appears to do what I do, except I use flock.

I do use flock too. Depends what I'm basing. E.g. my Chinese I've mostly used sand with static grass tufts, but the Aztecs use a mix of flocks and scatter. Just depends how "lush" looking I want it. Vary the colour of paint used as well, from sandy brown to a darker richer brown.