Pseudo-Bavarians & Wayward Venetians...

Started by snake777, 26 June 2020, 10:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Excellent work - I love what you have done with the flags in particular.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

snake777

Quote from: mollinary on 28 June 2020, 07:39:45 PM
Excellent work - I love what you have done with the flags in particular.

Thank you Mollinary  :) The flags are all down to the wonders of photoshop... I also liked the idea of having them flying sideways so the designs can be seen a bit clearer; it also hides to a certain extent, that strange effect so often seen on miniature battlefields, where the wind blows in opposite directions!!!! :D

snake777

snake777

Quote from: Techno on 28 June 2020, 07:22:40 AM
Those are splendid, snake !!  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Many thanks Techno!, Very much appreciated  :)

snake777

Quote from: toxicpixie on 27 June 2020, 10:01:45 PM
Spot on! I've been eying up those Strelets - you've done a great job!

How was the plastic to work with?

Thanks TP... I've had no problems really with the plastic apart from trying to clean up mould lines, it doesn't cut particularly cleanly and can leave areas quite rough, even when using a new scalpel blade... I use cheap hobby acrylics to paint them, sometimes 'improved' with artists acrylic and then varnished with matt acrylic varnish, I've had no issues with paint flaking and they seem pretty robust!

toxicpixie

Quote from: snake777 on 28 June 2020, 09:12:27 PM
Thanks TP... I've had no problems really with the plastic apart from trying to clean up mould lines, it doesn't cut particularly cleanly and can leave areas quite rough, even when using a new scalpel blade... I use cheap hobby acrylics to paint them, sometimes 'improved' with artists acrylic and then varnished with matt acrylic varnish, I've had no issues with paint flaking and they seem pretty robust!

You've done a cracking job - I often sub in similar paints, some are surprisingly cheap!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

paulr

Quote from: snake777 on 28 June 2020, 09:00:55 PM
... I also liked the idea of having them flying sideways so the designs can be seen a bit clearer; it also hides to a certain extent, that strange effect so often seen on miniature battlefields, where the wind blows in opposite directions!!!! :D

A strange effect indeed, in my recent ECW I had the Royalist flags flying to the right and Parliament to the left ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Quote from: paulr on 29 June 2020, 06:36:37 AM
A strange effect indeed, in my recent ECW I had the Royalist flags flying to the right and Parliament to the left ;)

I like to think the standard bearer has just been giving the flag a vigorous wave from side to side. Though given the tendency we have of oversizing flags at times it's a wonder he doesn't fall over!

snake777

Quote from: toxicpixie on 28 June 2020, 11:40:35 PM
You've done a cracking job - I often sub in similar paints, some are surprisingly cheap!

Have to agree with this TP. I have a few expensive paints but I find that the cheap ones work just as well, and at these small scales the difference is not really noticeable...

snake777

Quote from: paulr on 29 June 2020, 06:36:37 AM

;D The Gods of War obviously have control over localised micro-climates!!!!

snake777

Quote from: mmcv on 29 June 2020, 05:45:41 PM
I like to think the standard bearer has just been giving the flag a vigorous wave from side to side. Though given the tendency we have of oversizing flags at times it's a wonder he doesn't fall over!

:D Beefy boyz obviously; those standard bearers!