Dacians

Started by FierceKitty, 26 June 2020, 06:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

The good news: Two packs of Dacians and Sarmatians arrived today. The bad news: They aren't the Pendraken part of the order (a good deal more substantial), just a bit to add variety to a crazy brave impetuous army. But credit where it's due, MM reliably get the stuff out very fast.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Did you by chance get the "Sarmation or Alan Cavalry" and are any of the figures passibly female? I want to do a unit of Amazons for my Trojan War and so far the only ones I've been able to find are 4 figures in the Pendraken Sarmations pack, but they're all the same pose. One or two of the MM ones look like they may work too but the faces are obscured or unclear in the picture. Assuming I can live with mixing MM and Pendraken cavalry...

FierceKitty

I'll check them out tomorrow and let you know. Mixing shouldn't be a problem; I've done it with Scythians, Huns, Japanese, and Persians (both ancient types). Phil will tell you that horse sizes vary even more than human ones.

mmcv

Appreciate it, cheers.

Yeah, I reckon it would be okay mixing with the recent figures - I've noticed some of the older Pendraken ones don't mix so well with MM, e.g. the P Normans with the MM knights, as both the horses and figures are a fair bit smaller and lighter than MM so don't really work in a close line of knights. But for spread out horse archers is not such a big deal and the newer figures aren't as small I find.

FierceKitty

I suspect often enough even a Sarmatian cataphract rode a pony. Distinguishing size becomes important around the late middle ages, when horsebreeding began to get organised and regulation was slowly introduced, and a small horse would have been seriously overburdened in a heavy unit.

Techno

Quote from: FierceKitty on 26 June 2020, 03:05:40 PM
Phil will tell you that horse sizes vary even more than human ones.

They certainly do !!  ;D ;D ;D

Currently the tallest horse in the world is just shy of seven feet, (that's at the withers).....Goodness knows what that equates to, to the top of his head. :o :o :o

The shortest horse is under a foot and a half (again, at the withers).

Cheers - Phil :)

FierceKitty

Anyone ever done a Shetland army?

mmcv

Yeah certainly slight differences in horse size isn't a big concern - more when there's an overall difference in the size and chunkiness of the horse and rider it can be a bit iffy. I find for instance TB and MM medievals tend to be bigger and heftier while Pendraken (and IR) tend to be a bit lighter and more delicate, so would look a bit odd mixed on the same base as knights or men at arms. Light or irregulars it's less of an issue as they are more of a mishmash anyway, so long as the figures aren't considerably different - I find that's the bigger factor than the horses.

For the Amazons, I'll be doing them as mounted archers reasonably spread out on the base, so a mix should be fine, and any size differences can easily be explained by saying the smaller ones are just young ladies out for their first bloodletting.

FierceKitty

Quote from: mmcv on 26 June 2020, 02:43:16 PM
Did you by chance get the "Sarmation or Alan Cavalry" and are any of the figures passibly female? I want to do a unit of Amazons for my Trojan War and so far the only ones I've been able to find are 4 figures in the Pendraken Sarmations pack, but they're all the same pose. One or two of the MM ones look like they may work too but the faces are obscured or unclear in the picture. Assuming I can live with mixing MM and Pendraken cavalry...

Sorry about the delay. They aren't obviously butch and bearded (I think Sarmatians often shaved, which no real man does), so maybe they'll do.

mmcv

Quote from: FierceKitty on 30 June 2020, 03:55:15 AM
Sorry about the delay. They aren't obviously butch and bearded (I think Sarmatians often shaved, which no real man does), so maybe they'll do.

Thanks, that might just do. At 10mm that's about all that's needed. Don't really like oversized exaggerated female models, they'd have not looked much different from the men, just less bulky or hairy on the face.