Warlord games rules

Started by Adamwest, 25 June 2020, 07:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Ahhh the humble label maker, truly mans greatest invention!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Last Hussar

I like the bit in Spectre where Bond has 'Borrowed' the DB10 with it's £3m Q-Branch Upgrade, and Q has just Dymo'ed the switches.  It's very British.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

hammurabi70

Quote from: Adamwest on 26 June 2020, 06:09:17 AM
Blucher is brigade bases isnt it? Moving divisions around maps is exactly what im aiming to achieve, campaigns and battles being linked with in game effects i.e losses, troops/generals gaining skill

Club choices:

(1) Maurice

(2) Blucher

(3) Pickett's Charge

Sandinista

Quote from: Adamwest on 27 June 2020, 12:38:52 PM
How could you leave god own county though?!
Large chunks of NZ are quite reminiscent of Yorkshire, but with warmer weather. As for reasons many, mainly due to my wife being a New Zealander.
Glad I avoided the BBC chaos - Brexit, Boris and Cocked response to Covid 19.

Cheers
Ian

pierre the shy

Quote from: toxicpixie on 28 June 2020, 06:44:27 PM
;D

Good film :)
+1

I wonder if "M" made him pay it off at 20 quid a week or in RAF parlance the DB10 was just quietly "struck off charge" after its swim in the Tiber?

Getting back to labels I do think that well designed ones are worth adding to each stand where possible. Makes unit identification in larger games much easier.       
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

toxicpixie

"Consumables expended in line of duty" ;)

Like accounting for paper clips ;)

Stop talking about label makers, now I want a label maker! White paper and tape ain't cutting it now I've seen the top table :D

Gwydion

Back to rules for a moment:
If you want to solo play a battle in a day - Volley and Bayonet - the original set for preference, or the 'Road to Glory' second edition if you can't find a copy of the original (ignore the stuff about  brigade skirmishers though - it messes up the elegant simplicity of the original).
Your units are brigades and again there is no line column square  stuff, but you do get to throw in a reserve cavalry Corps when you feel like it.

Works for 7YW to Franco Prussian War or back to Marlburian/GNW (possibly 17th Century, but I'm doubtful) with amendments available online.

Last Hussar

Quote from: Gwydion on 29 June 2020, 02:43:33 PM
Back to [OP] for a moment:
You're new here, aren't you...

Blucher has the Scharnhorst campaign rules in the back.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Gwydion

Somebody mentioned this thing about 'maintenance of aim' to me once, can't seem to shake the idea, sorry. :)

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Adamwest

@sandinista
I have family in new Zealand i would love to go visit one day, looks beautiful from pics i have seen!
Thank you all for the suggestions, think i need to get playing and tinker with rules until i find something that works for me. I had thought of neil thomas rules they seem simple enough to base a game on and with plenty of options to tinker

Scorpio_Rocks

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

pierre the shy

01 July 2020, 09:28:07 PM #44 Last Edit: 01 July 2020, 09:30:39 PM by pierre the shy
Quote from: Adamwest on 30 June 2020, 10:45:35 PM
@sandinista
I have family in new Zealand i would love to go visit one day, looks beautiful from pics i have seen!
Thank you all for the suggestions, think i need to get playing and tinker with rules until i find something that works for me. I had thought of neil thomas rules they seem simple enough to base a game on and with plenty of options to tinker

Plenty of players using Warlord rules over here these days but I'd suggest coming (at least to Wellington) another day - we have a good Wellington Southerly today - feels like 2 Degrees C, winds gusting 120km/h and plenty of rain turning to sleet/snow on the hills, 6m waves in Cook Strait so ferries cancelled..... :o

Luckily my son flew back to Christchurch yesterday just before the southerly arrived.

Still, can't beat Wellington on a good day  ;)

Cheers
Pierre the frozen

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.