Warlord games rules

Started by Adamwest, 25 June 2020, 07:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamwest

Blucher is brigade bases isnt it? Moving divisions around maps is exactly what im aiming to achieve, campaigns and battles being linked with in game effects i.e losses, troops/generals gaining skill

T13A

Hi

If you are looking at the Blucher rules, which personally I think are really good for games where you are trying to represent whole armies and moving divisions around a map (or more precisely corps' in Blucher's case) then you might be interested in looking at this link:

http://www.armygroupyork.com/after-action-reports/danube-campaign-turn-1

It is a report of a 1809 campaign, using Blucher run some years ago by the people who produce 'Little Wars TV'.

Good luck.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Last Hussar

Have just finished a Blucher game with Sunjester (his first).

Because its a high level game its a little different to traditional wargames rules - the movement is very 'undetailed' and there are no real formations, apart from units being marked as 'prepared'.  Its very much trusting the brigadiers and colonels are doing their job right. Combat is also very 'bland' - you aren't making tactical decisions, rather 1 elan point = 1 die in combat.

This is in no way a criticism - you are commanding an army in Blucher - you don't give a flying blue {####} about those sort of things, its just not necessarily 'traditional' wargaming. Bases are either 1200-2000 men, 2000-3000 or 3000-5000 depending on the level you are playing at, though that has no effect on the rules, just how you convert historical armies.

What sort of wargaming are you after?  Do you want to roll for every shot, or do you just want to know did the division see off the enemy?
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Adamwest

T13a- i really enjoy the little wars tv videos very envious of their setups!
Last hussar - i just get the feeling 1-stand=1 brigade is a little too zoomed out for me. Obviously this is all theory i havent rolled a dice in anger! As you said im happy not to care what formation my regiment is in i trust they should be in the most appropriate and a bad or good dice roll can explain a lot of things if you get me!

Last Hussar

Its not even that precise! "That collection" of units is a corps. Orders of battle tend to split them down to Brigades/Regiments/Part Divisions, but that's the choice of the compiler.

Your biggest decision is what level do you want to play at? Wargamers, unlike real generals command 2 levels down: 12-20 units a side is a good game.  This means if you want to be Napoleon the units are Divisions. If you are happy leading a Corps, then units are usually  Brigades/Regiments.

If you want battalions on the table you will be the Divisional commander activating your Brigadiers to give orders.

No matter what, don't do "The Peninsula"!

GNU PTerry

Sandinista

I play very large solo games using both Hail Caesar and Pike and Shotte,and both are well suited to solo play. Easily completed in a day, the command and control system lends itself well to solo play. My old blog has some images of large games I played http://kerikerigamer.blogspot.com

Cheers
Ian

Adamwest

Last hussar
Realistically im going to aim for a corpse and see how quick i can get through a game while i learn the rules
Sandinista
Very envious of your collections and living in new zealand! How could you leave god own county though?!

Raider4

Quote from: Adamwest on 27 June 2020, 12:38:52 PM
Realistically im going to aim for a corpse and see how quick i can get through a game while i learn the rules

Ahh, zombie gaming . . .

toxicpixie

I really like Blucher but the Momentum Dice (command points) is awkward solo though there's a kind gent has built a spreadsheet macro to handle that!

If you want ongoing "character development" for the army can I recommend another of Sam Mustafa's games and suggest Longstreet? It's not a high level game, you're commanding your Regiment > Division throughout the whole American Civil War and it progresses as you go. Maurice for the c18th has a campaign mode that's quite good, but you want a few players to handle it I'm afraid.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Adamwest

Raider 4
Ha! You got me! Im surprised i havent been pulled on my spelling or grammer yet!
Toxic pixie
I have read maurice some years ago now, i loved the imagi-nation building!

Last Hussar

Don't aim for the corpse - aim for the buggers who are still shooting back!

TP - How's that going, you used it yet?

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

Hah, I've been playin fantasy games so aiming at the corpse is actually potentially needed as it might still be moving!

LH, no, see above :D

I might get the Nappies down when the current Oathmark game finishes. Y'know I swore I'd put "... on this forum" on the end of "...king gentleman" :/

Adam - yes, the imagination building is ace - so much potential for silly names :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Last Hussar

You don't think I actually bother reading anything you buggers post here, do you?

I might read something Nobby has written by mistake.

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

Sweet jibbers Crabsticks, LH, no one wants that.

The Centurion pr0n will haunt me for ever!

Actually, don't tell him but I painted this for the Father-outlaw's Xmas pressie -

https://Www.facebook.com/pg/jtppainting/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2534687113447744&ref=bookmarks&mt_nav=1

Last Hussar

Bloke at work used to drive tanks when he was in the army. The status lights in the cab of a Centurion are coloured, which is how you are supposed to know what is happening.  Unfortunately he's colour blind, so he made dymo labels. Other drivers looked and went "that's brilliant, why did we never think of that?"

GNU PTerry