15mm Forces for the Western Desert

Started by bigjackmac, 24 June 2020, 08:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

If you want to be that 'picky'

Red 40 is 8th Hussars who had Stuarts in November 1941, a Green 65 7th Hussars would have had Crusaders as would all of 22nd Armd Bde although what Brigade markings they had during Op Crusader is not clear

They still look bloody good :) :D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

hammurabi70

Quote from: paulr on 25 June 2020, 10:14:16 AM
If you want to be that 'picky'

Red 40 is 8th Hussars who had Stuarts in November 1941, a Green 65 7th Hussars would have had Crusaders as would all of 22nd Armd Bde although what Brigade markings they had during Op Crusader is not clear

They still look bloody good :) :D

The German tanks have different tank numbers; it might seem a bit embarrassing if they were the same. Is there any duplication in the British tank markings?

fred.

The British markings (at least the ones visible at this scale) aren't unique per tank. They are regiment level for the numbers in squares (serials) or squadron level for the geometric turret markings. So having the same on the same type of tank is to be expected.  And given the mixed organisations used its certainly possible to see the same on different tanks.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Sometimes Britsih tanks carried no markings if issued from a depot as loss replacements. My 15mm ones break the rules by using squadron colours on troops, with the SHQ using RHQ coloured pennons. From memory it's A Red, B Yellow, C green and I've ussed blue for 4 troop. HQ was black. Makes Iding in a game easy.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

DaveH

Those look good, it is satisfying to finish off a collection of figures.

bigjackmac

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!

Hammurabi - I had no idea, and that's kinda dumb for Battlefront to sell two aircraft in a pack, with the same decals...

Paul - Same as above, I just used what Battlefront provided with the vehicles.

Dave - Indeed it is, Sir! ;)

Now who has all this in 10mm and is looking to trade?  :P

V/R,
Jack

hammurabi70

Quote from: bigjackmac on 25 June 2020, 10:41:38 PM
Hammurabi - I had no idea, and that's kinda dumb for Battlefront to sell two aircraft in a pack, with the same decals...

I would say very dumb; I am astonished that they have done so.  There is clearly a business opportunity to make specials decals, at least for the RAF and maybe others.

The German tanks numbers are also a bit odd.  My understanding is that the three numbers were per battalion: company, platoon, tank, so 214 would be the fourth tank of the first platoon of the second company.  HQ tanks were R01, R02 and so forth.  A two digit number, 22, 23 is a bit odd, but maybe my understanding is incomplete or, more likely, Africa Korps units were pretty much a law unto themselves in most things.

I normal limit myself to generic markings but then tend to game with a tank or group of figures representing more than a single entity as you would get in skirmish gaming.  And at the end its the look that counts!  8)