3mm scale Arnhem model

Started by Steve J, 24 June 2020, 01:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 25 June 2020, 10:13:14 AM
That...and carnivorous plants.
Anyone else jump to this image?

Only me then.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 25 June 2020, 10:45:06 AM
They were never THAT big,  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....but I got to the stage where I'd sell some of my excess plants back to a fairly posh garden centre, near to where we used to live near Newark.

I was genuinely gutted when I lost the whole lot because of 'crop spraying' (to get rid of weeds) by farmers in the area.

I'd probably spent £100 to £200 on buying 'new plants'......Got them going to the point, where if I'd actually had to buy the plants I'd 'cultivated'.....It would have cost me five to six thousand quid.

I've only got two types, now. They seem to be happy to live in the kitchen.

Cheers - Phil.

They have always intrigued me. Had a venus fly trap one but it died very quickly.

Ideally I would like a trained Triffid in the front garden to dispose of unwanted guests and the traveler children from the local site when they walk past  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Wotcha, Mark. :)

The biggest mistake that folk make with carnivorous plants, is not keeping them moist enough.
Their natural environment is a 'bog'...They almost need to stand in water.

BUT....to keep them moist enough....You DON'T use tap water. The chemicals in tap water that keep us safe from 'whatever' are basically a slow poison to these plants, that thrive in a 'natural' environment.
Here in Wales we have an abundance  of 'natural' rainwater  ;D ;D ;D....nicked from all the water butts we have around Techno Towers.....(Even that will be somewhat acidic. X_X))

Von bought me a single (fairly pathetic) Venus flytrap, maybe three years ago.....That's still going strong.....and there are probably six or seven separate plants 'in the pot' now.....I should really blitz the pot and make a load of separate 'pot plants'.

I also know to 'chop' the flower stems when they come up, to save weakening the main plant....That helps ! ;)

I think 'carni' plants are fascinating....and I WILL go back to doing this fairly soon. :)

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

i would have used tap water to water them, so that is probably what killed it. perhaps i should try again
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

TinyTinTroops

Quote from: fsn on 25 June 2020, 11:43:40 AM
Anyone else jump to this image?

Only me then.

My first thought was the H G Wells short story 'The Purple Pileus' - but them I'm educated !!!!

Tony Hughes of Tiny Tin Troops

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

DaveH

I saw the Arnhem modeil linked on some other forums. It really is impressive.