To advance or not to advance?

Started by fsn, 23 June 2020, 04:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Gentlemen.

I have hoist myself upon the horns of a dilemma ... let me explain.

Spring 1067. William the Bastard is now king of England, but there remain many Saxons who defy the invaders. One of these is Earl Aethoriel - known for his bravery, his nobility and the odd smell of cheese that followed him. To deal with the uppity Earl, William sends one of his trusted lieutenant Guy de Guy, known as Guy Brown Saddle because of his pre-battle nervousness.

Aethorial has put out the word for his troops to gather at the Sniggering Place*,  where the main** road for Hiere to Thayar passed through a chain of low rounded hills. Aethorial's troops gathered remarkably quickly (due to a string of good throws) and now stand ready around the Sniggering Place. The only band not present is that of Techno the Undirectioned which is currently approaching Scotland.

Guy Brown Saddle was not so fortunate with the bones, and finds himself with only his heavy cavalry facing the Saxons. Some low archers are near and his offspring Raymond (know as Son Ray) had made contact with the lighter cavalry. All of Brown Saddle's infantry was on the wrong side of the Great River***. They will have to retrace their steps and cross the Great River before they can join their leader.     

Gentlemen. Aethorial has the numbers and a good position, but no cavalry. Should he advance onto the flat ground to throw over Guy de Guy before the Norman infantry can rejoin their leader? Or should he stand his ground and await the full force of the King's wrath?

*It used to be know as the Goddess Paps but then puberty set in
**For "main" read "only"
*** They didn't spend a lot of time naming things

The Saxons in full array at the Sniggering Place confront the Norman cavalry, whilst over the Great River, Norman infantry look a bit silly.
The Norman archers on the correct side of the Great River. The rest of the infantry ... not so good.
Guy de Guy's view. Doubtless Brown saddle will be living up to his name. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

sunjester

Get stuck in and crush the Norman upstarts! :d

Techno

I say, take off, and nuke the site from orbit....It's the only way to be sure.

Cheers - Corporal Hicks

Steve J

I suppose it will come down to the rules and how good an advantage one gets from being on the hills.

Kiwidave

Stay put - you have a commanding position, and superior numbers.

mollinary

Stay put, and give the Normans a good taunting!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

fred.

If you think the Normans will just sit it out and wait for their infantry, then get stuck in.

If you think the Normans will expect they can just ride you down, then wait. Perhaps a feint of an advance to draw the Norman cavalry forward, then you can deal with them before their infantry arrives.

Quote from: Techno on 23 June 2020, 04:16:23 PM
I say, take off, and nuke the site from orbit....It's the only way to be sure.

Or this, though it may be beyond the Saxon's technology level.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Raider4

The English have a long tradition* of finding a spot and saying "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!"

*Well, it worked at Agincourt, not so much Hastings . . .

Norm

I think even if you put the order out to 'leave this safe place and lets go into the exposed open and attack some of the best cavalry in the world'

How many would follow!

Last Hussar

Quote from: Norm on 23 June 2020, 05:47:23 PM
I think even if you put the order out to 'leave this safe place and lets go into the exposed open and attack some of the best cavalry in the world'

How many would follow!

Again, see Hastings...
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Westmarcher

Quote from: mollinary on 23 June 2020, 05:14:32 PM
Stay put, and give the Normans a good taunting!

Yeah, and watch out for the sneaky counter-taunts.

Keep your composure and stand your ground, no matter how vexing.

.... especially when they hit you with, 'Your mother was a hamster ....'    :-B
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

I have come to a decision.

Aethoriel  shall advance.

Then I shall reset the table and Aethoriel shall stay put.

Two games for the price of one.  ;)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Send a PM to Lee via FK, requesting advice  I am sure she will know what to do so that Sir Guy gets his comeuppance.  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Norm

Quote from: Last Hussar on 23 June 2020, 06:46:28 PM
Again, see Hastings...

But that was an impetuous counter attack by part of the Anglo-Saxon right wing. It does not look to have been ordered or made as part of an overall attack by the whole army .... i.e. it is doubtful that Harold saw that local counter-attack as a good thing.