Piggy backs anyone?

Started by monkeynut, 18 June 2020, 09:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Thats a railway thing, due to differing gauges in various places and wanting to use the same track for both British and continetal models. At least thats what I been told. Airfix are actually 1/76th, but sold as 1/72nd these days. 1/72 are visably larger.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

John Cook

There are lots of models that are going to sell in greater quantities than others but I have little idea as to what makes something financially viable or not.  If the V2 stuff and 14" railway gun, for example, are financially viable, I would think that a Diamond T and a Scammel would be too.

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 20 June 2020, 02:16:04 PM
Thats a railway thing, due to differing gauges in various places and wanting to use the same track for both British and continetal models. At least thats what I been told. Airfix are actually 1/76th, but sold as 1/72nd these days. 1/72 are visably larger.

It comes back to a morphing of scales.  Airfix model aircraft were allegedly  1/72 and close to OO (1/76.2) - their first model was a Spitfire (1955).

The first figures were the Guards Band, Colour Party and Infantry Combat Group - they were styled H0 &00 on the box, covering both bases. as HO was 1/87.   This is the "same track" argument that Ian refers to.  (Both 00 and HO shared the same model gauge.)

These early figures were 22mm high so compatible with the H0 scale. Indeed Airfix Civilians set was clearly made with a railway platform/station in mind.  All these figures worked well with 1/87 Roco minitanks..

The later 1970s figures have scale creep.  The Carrier and 6pdr set has a 1/87 carrier crew/NCO and a couple of kneeling giants 1/76 gun crew.
Battle sets included tanks and figures, so the new release figures are scaled to fit with the Airfix model tanks and vehicles in 1/76.